Lil help!

Timmy Ford

Hey guys,

So I have some questions that I am sure can be answered by those much, much more knowledgable than myself. Please pardon my ignorance...Thank you in advance.

I just bought an Adad hd24 which will be arriving in a few days. My current mixer is a 16 channel fostex VM200. I am planning on upgrading the mixer in the future, probably to a presonus. The mixer has only 8 TRS inputs yet has an adat input/output for the additional eight channels via optical. There is a button on the VM200 that switches from the page of trs 8 inputs to the 9-16 Adat in. I am totally lost as to word clock master and slaves and things of that nature.

So to mix down tracks I am recording I would connect the first 8 channels via trs and the other 8 via adat in optical?.

My next question, equally as stupid is due to the fact I am completely ignorant when it comes to integrating computers with my music. As you know the Adat has the Fireport that comes with the software. Put bluntly what the hell does that do and how can I benefit from it?. I would like to intergrate my stuff with my computer but don't have much of an idea on how to go about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

... So to mix down tracks I am recording I would connect the first 8 channels via trs and the other 8 via adat in optical?.
I don't know this mixer but that sounds reasonable if it can access both sets.

I am totally lost as to word clock master and slaves and things of that nature.
Best guess here would be the mixer set to 'external ADAT input (slave) for its clock source. Typically you would keep the device doing any conversion (the analog D-A outs in this case, or if the ADAT is recording) as the master (internal' clock there.

My next question, equally as stupid is due to the fact I am completely ignorant when it comes to integrating computers with my music. As you know the Adat has the Fireport that comes with the software. Put bluntly what the hell does that do and how can I benefit from it?. I would like to intergrate my stuff with my computer but don't have much of an idea on how to go about that. ..
That is a track data transfer method from the HD24 to your computer (as opposed to having to record it into it in real time. No clock needed for data copy functions by the way.

Here's an alt to the fire port' that presumably allows faster file transfering (I do so little of this I haven't needed it my self.
Also there's a user HD24 group on Yahoo. :D

Back