It's baaaack! back in the shop

Tonekat

Well, thought our Studio 32 was working after the second trip to the shop and the weeks and weeks of diagnosis and waiting for parts that accompanied it's stay. Now it's in for the third time.

Used it to record a couple bass tracks, then did a vocal track, using the phantom power for the condensor mic. Recorded OK, then died on playback, so I'm thinking that it has something to do with the phantom power circuit, as I think that it died last time when we did a vocal.

Pointed it out to the repair people, we'll see what happens this time.

piece 'o junk

Hey Mutt, well, they say it's the power transformer again! A relatively cheap part, but this thing has pretty much shut us down for most of this year. Won't buy another, but I think my bass player wants to buy a spare. Not many alternatives for the inline monitor design. I'm losing confidence in this well-known repair shop, that's for sure.

:( Just being nosey, are you having to pay for the repairs each time or are they warranting their work for you?

If you have to keep dumping money into it, you might try looking at the behringer 3242 mixer, it has inline monitor, mine has done real well for remote recordings with my DA-38............

da MUTT

It's...........fixed???

Well, it's ready, they haven't mentioned money, so I may be covered this time, I'll let you know. I'll pick it up tomorrow and we'll test it out this week.
Thanks for tipping me off on the Behringer MX3242X. It looks attractive, street price about 600? I know they have a bad rap on this and other boards, but it can't put me in a worse place than where I'm at with this studio now. And....if it works, what the heck?

Hey Mutt....

Picked it up today, no charge for the 2nd power transformer or the labor....which gives me a much better opinion of them than before....next....testing it out!

Hey Tonekat,

Before you drop 600 on a Behringer, I have a TASCAM M-1600 24x8 console for sale, it comes with a meterbridge too.

It's got 8 channels with mic pre's, and then 16 channels of line inputs, 8 output busses and I think it has 6 aux sends, inline monitoring as well.

It's in mint condition, but weighs a ton, If you were willing to drive up to CT to pick it up, I'll sell it for 600 bucks.

I'll even throw in two 8 channel D-sub snakes for it (one needs some resoldering) for free.

PM me if you're interested..

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 258
Nice board

Sweet board there, Strryder, but I just don't have the cash right now. I'll show it to my project partner (the board is actually hers, so she pays for it's repair) and see if she's interested.

I'm not sure how long this particular project is going to last, anyway, and the way we have it setup, I can pull my stuff out anytime with no entanglements.

Aaaarrrggghhh!

I can't believe it. We hooked it up tonight, listened to our most current 16-trk playback, that was fine. OK, let's do a vocal track to see if the phantom power blows it up again.

We cut a track just to set levels, didn't even listen to it as there were some variations (I'm forgetting things since the board hasn't been around much this year....so I left the solo button on, etc.)

Anyway, we cut the track again, levels look fine....rewind, go to listen, and.....the board has shut down....again....!

Back it goes, I'm sure the power transformer is blown again.

The co-owner is starting to look at hard drive systems, I'm trying to steer her away from that.

Stay tuned.

Hmmm, not to far from me!
Lemme check my budget this weekend and I'll holla back at you via PM sometime Sat Nite!

Finally!

Well, I picked it up yesterday, at no charge, they burned it in for 2 hours with our condenser and cable that we had used every other time it blew up on us.
Tested it last evening, seems to work now! I see one mismatched knob on the low eq on channel 15, so they may have discovered something there.
Now, we can get back to recording, after, what.....8 months?

Back