How to produce stereo USB signal

spence

Here's a question that should be easy for someone who isn't a rookie like myself. How do you generate a stereo USB signal? I am using Mixcraft 5 as my recording software. I can record mono no problem. I am using a Multimix USB 8, the older, silver model. It's great.

Last edited:
Here's a question that should be easy for someone who isn't a rookie like myself. How do you generate a stereo USB signal? I am using Mixcraft 5 as my recording software. I can record mono no problem. I am using a Multimix USB 8, the older, silver model. It's great.

The USB output carries both the left and right channels just like the main outs. It is up to you to make this a stereo mix based on the panning you choose.

Are you recording in stereo?

I don't know Mixcraft but USB carries stereo signal. You usually assign an input signal/device to each track. In my software I can pick left, right or stereo as the input.

more on stereo signal from Alesis to laptop via USB

thanks for your help and your patience. I am now thinking that perhaps the Mixcraft software doesn't accept the stereo signal from the Alesis via the USB. I have two mikes connected, one panned left, one panned right, so I have stereo at least as far as the mixer. My thought is that even if the Alesis is sending a stereo signal it is not being recognized as such by the mixcraft software and it is being recorded as a blended mono signal on the armed track in the Mixcraft. If that makes sense.

thanks for your help and your patience. I am now thinking that perhaps the Mixcraft software doesn't accept the stereo signal from the Alesis via the USB. I have two mikes connected, one panned left, one panned right, so I have stereo at least as far as the mixer. My thought is that even if the Alesis is sending a stereo signal it is not being recognized as such by the mixcraft software and it is being recorded as a blended mono signal on the armed track in the Mixcraft. If that makes sense.

I don't have Mixcraft (or the Alesis) but I just glanced at the mixcraft specs and it seems pretty capable. Typically, you can record stereo in two ways- one is set up a stereo track and the other is set up two tracks for recording and send the left signal to one track and the right signal to the other. With the second method you have more flexibility at mixdown.

Usually the two (or more) channels from the audio interface are shown in the recording software as right and left drivers (they may be just called something like channel 1 and channel 2). So you set one track to record from left driver and the other track to record from the right. There may also be a stereo driver that can be used for a single stereo track. Unfortunately the Multimix manual does not provide details on how this should look in windows so you will have to do some discovery. You can look in Control Panel under sound recorder and see what drivers are listed or similarly look under the audio properties in Mixcraft.

I have now tried just about every possible on the Mixcraft, as well as spent a lot of time in the Control Panel in my laptop (a Lenovo, about three months old, great laptop). I did discover that my laptop has built-in stereo mics, which is interesting. Still, no combination of settings on the Control Panel and on the Mixcraft will enable me to break the stereo signal from the Alesis via USB onto two channels. Disappointing- drums being one thing I really wanted to be able to record in stereo for my projects, as well as simple stereo live recordings of gigs.

That is perplexing.

The following excerpt and graphic are from the Mixcraft manual.

"Choosing Recording Input
Audio Tracks
You can record from multiple sound cards and different inputs at the same time. Some specialty sound devices allow
you to record on multiple inputs at a time. Typical sound cards usually only have one stereo input with one source.
On the track header, click the little arrow on the Arm button.
This brings up a list of sound devices, followed by inputs. In the following example, it shows one device. (Conexant
HD Audio)."

What options do you have when you select a source as in the graphic below? (in your case you should be seeing something pertaining to the Multimix)

Attachments

• mixcraft source select.jpg
    mixcraft source select.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 7
Back