Help! Weird Cubase And Alesis Multimix Problem!

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Hi,

Ive been recording with my Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire interface into Cubase SX on my laptop for some time and it worked perfectly, I could record and edit loads of track at once and there were no problems at all. After having some problems with spyware and lack of space on my laptop hard drive, i replaced it about 2 months ago with an 80gb, faster hard drive. After installing everything on this hard drive, I tested recording and it seemed like everything worked, however, now i have started to record properly it seems it doesnt work as well as i thought. When recording a track, cubase will randomly, at different times just pause for about a second and then drop the recording and continue with just playback. I can hit record again and recording will continue but will drop out again later and so on. If i just playback a track, the sound will skip for a bit randomly. When monitoring the VST performance, everything is fine right up untill the audio skips, when the HD overload light comes on. I have not been able to record for more than a minute and a half without it doing this, usually recording lasts only about 50 seconds. It doesnt matter how many tracks i am recording, it still does the same thing. I have tried changing buffer size etc but it does not work. I also noticed when playing normal audio in Windows Media Player, the audio will slightly skip, every 30 sec or so...I dont know if this is related.

Please help because i want to get back to recording again and this just seems strange seeing as it worked perfectly before i changed the hard drive.

Ps My laptop is a Intel Pentium 4 M, 1.8 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, so theres no problem there.

Thanks

Back