HELP: cannot trigger sr-16 sounds

mrpappageorgio

Set up the sr-16 to record a midi track into cakewalk pro audio 9. when i try to use the sr-16 as a sound module, and trigger some of the great sounds that i hear on the audio outs, i can never get them to sound. I verified the midi notes in cakewalk are correct (c1, c3, etc), and even changed them, and tried re-recording to see if that made a difference, but it did not. I keep hearing some very bland drum kit...i am assuming it is a general midi kit and sounding from the sound car...

I have attached the alesis .ins file to cake, and that is a joke. all of the rock kits do not sound, and the rest of the kits are VERY intermittant, and sound aweful, i might add.

I am able to trigger sounds from a remote midi controller (roland a-37), but even then, the sound within cakewalk sounds WAAAY different than what i hear on the audio outs. is there additional processing on the audio outs that adds some depth/reverb pr something...anyway, even with the midi controller, when i change drum sets on the sr-16, the controller does not detect this, and does not sound the sounds on the drum pads..whcih have changed from set to set....

I do have some soundfont files, and the midi file works fine with them. what i do not like about that is i am not sure if i can tweak each part of the kit (snare, kick, etc) as the kit loads and an entire entity...is there some way of breaking out the sf2 file, and tweaking all of the kit...or is the idea to load it and go...for the sake of speed and not getting into details?????

I am at the point with the sr-16, that i am ready to just settle on drum soundfonts, and not continue to try and get the machine to playback the great sound si hear when i run the machine through my stereo on the audio outs...it does sound great..

Any help is appreciated....very frustrated...

Okay - let me see if I get what you're saying.

How are you triggering the sr16 via Cakewalk? Are you entereing notes via step recording?
How are you playing back what you recorded? back through the sr16 or as a midi file straight thru CW?

I have used the sr16 with CW Pro 8. but I never mixed it with CW. I always recorded several tracks using the sr16 and a Korg and Kurzweil synth, etc., then used CW as a sequencer midi'ed back to each synth, or the sr16, then had the audio outs on the sr16 and the synths connected to audio ins on a Tascam 564 digital recorder. If I wanted to actually record as a wave file on CW, I had to midi out from CW to the synth or sr16, then run the audio outs from the synth or sr16 back into the computer to CW and record it as a wave file, or otherwise all I heard was funky midi type sounds, not the sounds from my synth or sr16. Does this make sense? I think to get the sounds you want just using CW, you have to have the track you recorded on CW tranmit out via midi to the Sr16, then the audio outs on the sr16 feed back into the sound card on the PC to CW to record the track as a wave file on a different track on CW. Maybe this will help, I don't know.

mutt

thanks for the reply.....i am going to give that a try again,,,i will let you know...i have tried that before, but i was having a hard time setting it up in CW....i have triggered the sr-16 from my midi controller, but it seems like cw won't do it...i am sure it is me...i just don't have it set up right...i also fed the audio out to a stereo, and nothing played when cw was sending the midi track to the sr-16 midi in....

it also seems weird that GM drums are set to trigger a bass foor on midi note 36 (c3), but the sr-16 says it is set to midi note 36 (c1)..on my controller i can triiger the sr-16 bass foot on c1, and not c3....

i am wondering if there is some srt of mapping issue. however, i moverd the entire midi track down two octaves (to c1), and still could never get it to trigger....

i will try your suggestion.....thanks again...

pappag

Back