HD24 upgrade from Tascam 788

Jim Pratt

I currently have a Tascam 788 and have done OK with it so far. But I wanted to have more control, thus have purcahsed and external mixer and am considering either the HD24 or HD24XR which would allow me to better use my external board (and external mic preamps). However, I realize I would probably need an external compressor and perhaps other effects as well.

SO the question part: Will I notice a difference in sonic quality with the HD24 over the 788? How loud are the fans / disks in the HD24 (will it need to be in a different room) since all I have is a home studio.

Are there other things to consider before taking the plunge ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

My HD24 sits right in front of my face between my nearfields. It isn't noisy. My PC 10' away makes more noise to me when I'm in front of my HD24.

I remember hearing music done on the 788 from a tascam forum and I remember they were good but, I think the guys who owned them put a lot of work into making their recordings sound the best they could. If you get the HD24 you'll be happy. I'd almost bet money on it.

I use stock pre's and converters from a DDX3216 mixer and I'm content with it for what it is. I can't wait to get a real (= high end) preamp and put the HD24 converters to work. I'll bet it's much better. I've said several times, I love my HD24 and would buy 12 more if I could afford them.

Yes I agree when not running pro tools in the studio I work at we use the hd24 and I love using it more than the pro tools. But you would need to get u a pre that sounds good to you

chris-from-ky said:
My HD24 sits right in front of my face between my nearfields. It isn't noisy. My PC 10' away makes more noise to me when I'm in front of my HD24.

Then you must not have silent fans in your PC . . .

I just got an HD24, it's quiet but not real quiet. The problem isn't the fan so much as the HDs--they are much more exposed than they'd be in a PC. I'm going to work on quieting down the HD bays, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Hello All and thanks for the help. Now for yet more questions.

First, who's cables do you use for your interconnects? I would like to use Monster or Mongami but the cost gets prohibitive (at least for 24 cables).

Also, do most folks do their editing on a computer? And while I know this is the Alesis forum, does anyone have an opinion of the Mackie HDR24/96 vs. the HD24? While list prices are greatly different, the EBay price of the HDR24 is much closer to the HD24, and I guess the HD24 does have some onboard editing, but I do like the hard drive format of the HD24 much more..

I am also considering a Masterlink for creating CD's from the HD24...

Thanks to all that have commented...

Doesn't the HDR24 have a monitor (the tv kind) out??? I bet for the extra thousand bucks, you could afford the good cables and go with the Alesis HD24. That's what the price difference used to be anyway. I love my HD24!!

I picked up my Alesis HD24 from AMS and had it pricematched from a semi-local music store. I paid something like $1200 - new, no tax or shipping costs. Not that I look religiously anymore, but I still haven't seen it for less and it's been a couple months now.

As far as interconnects, I picked up a bunch of Hosa 8 channel 1/4" snakes off eBay to run between the HD24 and my Mackie 24.8. If you went with a digital mixer (like the Berry) then you'd just need the toslink cables I guess. I doubt I'll be recording more then a few channels at a time, so I might bite the bullet and pick up a couple high(er) end 8 channel snakes. Or, option B I'm considering - picking up an 8 channel digital (ADAT) out pre (or AD/DA converter) to record directly to the HD24. Then using the snakes to mix through the Mackie. I'm using the Masterlink from the Mackie to mix down to. Don't ask me how it's working out - so far so good, but it's only been a couple of (way too) busy days since I've "finished" my control room and got my stuff semi-set up. Too early to find any kinks/problems. But it sure seems like everything is working great, and I couldn't be happier. Now I just need to finish my tiny 'live'/practice room.

-Krag

Thanks Krag,

Please keep me informed how the new studio proceeds. This is pretty much the same setup that I am thinking about for my home studio. I have been struggling with the decision between the HD24 and a HDR24/96, however I could afford a new HD24 while the HDR24/96 would have to be used. And from what I have read on the mackie forum, there seems to be a few problems with the HDR24/96. Are you considering using Pro Tools or some other computer based solution for editing? Also what sort of outboard compressors, effects, etc are you planning on putting in your studio.

With the Tascam 788, there is a waveform editor which is nice for removing pauses,etc, since you can see where you are at. With the HD24, I guess you would just have to trust your ears to see where the cut is made (like the tape days). That is the only reason I would consder the HDR24/96 over the HD24.
Would like to hear what you are planning for editing.

Thanks,

Jim Pratt

Jim,

I'll let you know my 'plan' when I figure that part out :)

For now, since I'll simply be recording my own stuff - for my own pleasure - I'm not all that worried about any kind of editing. I seriously considered using a PC to import my tracks to for editing and burning, but I work an aweful lot on PC's - and nothing pisses me off more then a broken PC. And they always break when you least want them to. So, I've got no plans at this particular point to add a PC - for any reason (other then to perhaps browse the web looking for new toys when I need a break!).

My current "plan" I guess is to simply use the HD24, my ears, the outboard gear I have, and mix down through the 24.8 to the Masterlink where I'll play around with the ML's basic tools for burning a CD. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't do a whole lot of nano-editing anyway. If a track doesn't sound good, I'll retake it (again, this is just myself, doing this for myself). I like to let the music go and any slight imperfection that doesn't stand out pretty much stays in. If it bothers me - I'll do a retake :) Perhaps as I continue to learn and work with my toys I'll go a different route - but for now that's my plan.

-Krag

Krag,

I totally agree with your approach... I spend all of my days with computers as well, so the last thing i really want to see when doing music (to get away from computers) is yet another computer screen... :)

So my initial idea was indeed the HD24 and the Masterlink. And that will probably be what I end up purchasing after all. I really like the filesystem that the HD24 has (which doesnt require defrag) as opposed to the FAT filesystem of the Mackie. And while being able to do some editing would be nice (I usually redo takes as well, but sometimes there is just a little pause that I would like to take out) the fact that the Mackie is based on an old 400 Mhz Celeron concerns me a bit...

So, if you get a chance I would like to know what outboard equipement you are using (compressors, reverb, anything else). Also if possible keep me posted on how things go...

Thanks for the reply..

Jim Pratt

Hello again Jim,

Well I think I might have mentioned I used to record (totally analog of course) about 12 years ago. Having been out of recording for most of the past dozen years and finally getting back into it - my comfort zone is still analog. Hense the purchase of the HD24. Sure it records digitally, but with an analog board, it functions an aweful lot like any tape machine.

Anywho, I actually picked up a 788 a year or so ago when I started getting back into recording. Then several months ago I sold it and picked up the 2488. I loved the idea of 24 tracks. However by the time I got the 2488 I realized I wasn't going to be happy till I jumped in with both feet - so I started building a small area in the basement of my new house that I could 'play' in. I picked up the HD24 and ML. I already had a FMR RNC, an ART TPS Pre amp, and a DBX PB48(patchbay) that I picked up back when I got my 788 (along with an AT 3050 mic). I also had a TC Electronics M300 multi effects unit that I bought to use in my live system. Over the past couple months I've added an ART VLA Pro compressor, the FMR RNP (along with the rack to mount it and the RNC), a Line 6 Pod Pro and Berry Bass V-Amp Pro to record guitars/bass direct through, and a couple more patchbays. I also have a BBE sonic maximizer that I use with my live rig, but haven't thought to use it at all for recording, though I may use it when I go to put my old tapes onto CD soon. I'm looking to pick up a nice channel strip as well - possibly the Safe Sound P1 or the Toft ATC-2. I haven't fully decided, and my job was iffy for a few weeks so I held off buying more:) I picked up a few more mics as well. To be honest I just "finished" off the control room on Sunday (yesterday) and I still have a bunch of work to do in my little 'live' room so I haven't done much recording yet. I'll know over the next few months what I'm missing, and what I don't really need - as I come to find out that I don't have something I need or never use something I bought :)
Oh yea, I just ordered a Kurzweil Rumour today (reverb).

So in all I should have a couple usable preamps (the RNP and whatever channel strip I buy - not to mention the ART TPS), a couple compressors (ART VLA Pro and RNC), a couple effect units (TC M300 and the Rumour), and a few mics (AT 3035, Shure KSM44, couple SM57's, SM58, Octava M-319, a couple others as well). Plus the two rack mounted guitar/bass units.

It might just take a while to get this crap hooked up and working right :)

-Krag

I too really love the HD24 approach. I use mine with a Mackie 32 x 8 and it is comfortably (for me anyways) like old school analog style recording. I recently scored the Mackie Ultramix package that gets me as close to moving faders as possible without the big$$$. I got the converter upgrade on the HD24, but still use all 24 tracks. I find an audible difference with the upgrade.

I am using outboard pres as well and use the Mackie mainly for monitoring and mixdown. I love the old Altec 1567A and Langevin AM16's.

I feed it all into a Masterlink as well...

Sounds great hasbeen. Much like my set-up except I've got the 24.8 Mackie. I've got so much to learn and re-learn however with recording - half of which is just the setting up of all the equipment and getting it all to work! (patchbays - fun fun fun!) But I'm slowly learning and figuring it all out. Things are coming to me again. It certainly helps (me) that the HD24/analog mixer combo is so much like 'old time' analog recording.

If you have any tips or tricks on set-up, sound quality, patching, etc. - please take a few minutes and share some secrets :)

-Krag

When using the outboard pres, I go direct to the HD24, as opposed to using the line in on the Mackie. I use my effects in the auxs, and compression usually on the inserts. All TRS cables for balanced connections where possible.

Hasbeen,

Do you have some, all, or none of your HD24 inputs running through a patchbay? Just wondering how you work your tracking.

Thanks

-Krag

I DO NOT use a patchbay. It is one of those "someday" items. I hear so many soldering nightmares etc....

I leave the jacks on my HD24 accessable, and just insert the preamp d'jour direct into the input. My outputs go back to my console for monitoring. Yes, it involves plugging and unplugging but I am used to it.

I use the direct outs on my Mackie channel strips to the HD24 as opposed to the bus jacks. There are times when I use the Mackie's preamps, but not usually.

I have all my HD24 inputs in a patchbay..I dont use my boards pres at all{Tascam M2600}And the outs of my pres in the bay also..as simple as say..takeing the output of pre 7 and patching it into say..track 4 and lighting it up and away we go...So the upgrade{A/D} does sound better than the older stock version..How much was it and did you install it yourself? :)

Henri Devill said:
So the upgrade{A/D} does sound better than the older stock version..How much was it and did you install it yourself? :)

I scored the EC2 upgrade on ebay for $250! Installed it myself no problem. I noticed a difference right out of the box.

hasbeen said:
I scored the EC2 upgrade on ebay for $250! Installed it myself no problem. I noticed a difference right out of the box.

Sh*t..250.00 :eek: ..Hummm I gots to look into that!!..Are you useing it at 44 ..48 ..88 .. 96..I do most of my stuff at 44.1

I am using it at the default setting for 24 tracks, which is 48 (i think). Even using all 24 tracks, the upgrade sounds better...

Back