HD24 or HD24xr

Reel Recording

another stupid question...how much better is the Hd24xr than the HD24? Is it really worth the extra dough? Is it the A/D converters that are better?

There are folks that say there's an audible difference in the quality of converters when you get the XR upgrade. I don't know, I don't have the XR version. I guess if you record at 96khz, the sound would be a little better, but you go from 24 tracks to 12 when you do that. In my mind the track count decrease isn't worth the amount of quality gained (if any). Just my uneducated opinion and an attempt to increase my post count! HA HA HA.

The extra $500 could buy you a nice Microphone. That's how I chose the non-XR version. I needed a mic too.

Good Luck!

There is absolutely an audible difference between the two. I upgraded my HD24 with the EC-2 upgrade. Luckily, I found my upgrade on ebay for $200.

You can buy something like the new Firepod and have another peice of gear with pre amps that will do that for the same money. With that you can Send / Receive 32 channels of Audio

the xr has completely different converters...so you'll get an improved sound, even if you are recording at 44.1khz.

actually the xr uses the same a/d converters as the radar 96. although there's more to sound than just the a/d converters...

Another vote for the XR. I've done some work with the non-XR at 44.1 and my XR is noticably better even at 44.1. Plus, you can record at 96kHz which I'm only now starting to mess with.

con_ritmo said:
although there's more to sound than just the a/d converters...
Not in digital recording there isn't..... the converter quality can make or break your sound!

I haven't heard the XR version myself, but I know the standard version sounds damn good itself!

I'd trust Blue Bear's ears (probably more than my own), and if you're comparing the HD24 to say the old Tascam 38 I used to record on, or the old Black Face ADATs that I did my first "real" album on, it's gonna blow 'em away.

But when I was making he choice, I figured once I talked myself into $1500 another $500 really wasn't that much. Plus being able to record at 96/24 straight from my preamp then Fireport into my DAW was worth it.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Not in digital recording there isn't..... the converter quality can make or break your sound!

I haven't heard the XR version myself, but I know the standard version sounds damn good itself!

"although there's more to sound than just the a/d converters..."

two different machines with identical a/d converters are not going to necessarily sound the same because there are other factors that come into play...clock, opamps, caps...etc.

Back