Gremlins in my Alesis Studio 24 - Need Advice

Rich E Nuff

Greetings fellow recording enthusiasts. First time poster.

I'm having issues with my Studio 24 and don't know what to make of it...When I first power the unit up, I get hissing/buzzing, and the LED L/R meters jump up and down continuously. Also several LED indicator lamps on certain channels (such as the solo and mute) become dimly lit and some flicker; even when they're not selected. After several annoying minutes this strange activity stops, and it works great.

Anyone know what this is, or have a similar experience???

Thanks

Alesis Studio 24.jpeg
Greetings fellow recording enthusiasts. First time poster.

I'm having issues with my Studio 24 and don't know what to make of it...When I first power the unit up, I get hissing/buzzing, and the LED L/R meters jump up and down continuously. Also several LED indicator lamps on certain channels (such as the solo and mute) become dimly lit and some flicker; even when they're not selected. After several annoying minutes this strange activity stops, and it works great.

Anyone know what this is, or have a similar experience???

Thanks

I've owned the S-24 ( & 32) for over 13 yrs & had the SAME ISSUES. I eliminated the prob by thoro'ly cleaning channel faders 1-8 & 9/10-15/16, all channel inserts, line ins, group/main ins-outs & back ADAT RCA's ins/tape outs etc. LED indicators on trks 3&4 were dimly lit so I went inside board & noticed a brownish residue had formed on LED board contacts (I'm heavy-handed on 3/4 as being a bassist, I usually DI my tracking there riding the faders & switching bet. SOLO or L/R hard). Forgoing cleaning, I replaced lead wiring on LEDs (it worked!). Lastly, I added additional grounding of pwr transformer(to boards face-plate grnd post), reconnected my ADATs & outboard gear insuring that there were no cable-signal cross interference & everything worked out fine.

The S-24 is a dirt magnet so internal cleaning should suffice. Careful inspection of lead-connections &/or components MIGHT require replacing if there is heavy oxidation/rust/residue etc. .Alesis Studio 24.jpeg

Last edited:
Back