Eject, Dammit!!

BigKahuna

A tape is stuck in my LX20!! :eek:
Seems like I only have technical problems when I record someone other than me!
I suspect the tape is at fault, but I've been using Quantegy brand since I got these decks and until now ... no problem. I've had minor problems before, but usually resolved by shutting down and restarting (aka Win95 tech support). Maybe I just got a bunk tape this time. It's bound to happen, I suppose.
I tried Ed's advice to hold eject while powering on ... and no luck. In fact, if I hit eject with the power off, the deck sits there cycling through the eject command over and over until I physically unplug it from the wall. The real problem isn't the eject command I don't think ... the deck won't unwrap the tape and go into stop mode. Luckily, transport controls worked so I was able to continue the session ... just couldn't give the tape to the guy afterwards. :(

Anyway, sorry ... just needed to vent a little.

Greetings,
I had the same trouble with my lx20.
I ended up ruining the transport, or I should say, the crappy Quantegy tape did.
I had to power up holding the eject button several times to get it out, then I sent the machine back.
Alot of people have had trouble with those Quantegy tapes. I've been using Maxell XR-S Black SVHS tapes and they work great, not a single problem and I've filled 4 so far. Alot of bad Adat tape out there.
Hope this helps.

I've had good luck with quantigy and lots of bad luck with HHBs. I also have a LX20 and it gobled two different HHBs in a row and both times I peeled it out of the rack, opened the housing and dug it out (carfully). After that I stuck with Quantigy and have never had a problem since.

[This message has been edited by Track Rat (edited 06-19-2000).]

I am not saying ALL Quantegy tapes suck. If that were the case they wouldn't be able to sell any tapes. There seems to be a good tape to bad tape ratio. Quantegy will have say, 5 bad tapes per 100, Maxell will have say 1 bad tape per 100
When I first bought my Adat I called several pro studios to ask what tapes they used, almost all said Maxell.
When I first came to Homerecording I read a few posts where Sonusman talked about Maxells being the best.
Which tapes would you use?

Had the same problem with my xt. Turned out
to be a belt on the eject motor. Alesis techs
told me to have it serviced and never suggested the belt problem and I had had it
serviced two months prior for 300.00 so I decided to open it up. I temporarily fixed it
with a rubber band until I could get alesis to send me a new belt set.

I'd say that ratio is pretty much right on the money, Jason ... at least in my case ... I've filled 18 tapes with no problem ... and then I put this one in.

I can't believe the prices for ADAT service! I'm guaranteed to spend at least $300 on this. I'm tempted to open it up ... but knowing me ... I'll catch the damn thing on fire ... strip the screws .... get sweat on the circuit board ... in short ... I will make it worse somehow.

That's I think the 4th person I've heard mention Maxell tape and the fact they've had zero errors with them. I might have to check that out.

Thanks guys.

I opened mine up for a cleaning awhile ago.
I laid a piece of cardboard on my stove and turned the fan on to keep dust and shit from falling in.
It worked great. Having the light right there was nice too.

heheh what's that burning smell? :)

I'm still not too comfortable opening it up ... but Eddie Ciletti's site is giving me a little courage. Lots of good information there. I don't know if I could unwrap this guys tape without ruining it ... so I'll probably leave it up to a pro to fish it out. But, I think I could maybe handle cleaning the heads after reading this stuff.

Well, I wish I knew what to tell ya ...
I opened the offending machine up and looked at it. I was wrong ... the tape wasn't still wound around the head ... it was indeed in stop mode. Needless to say ... I wasn't really sure what to do from there so I just hit Eject a couple more times and to my surprise the tape ejected. I don't know why it worked this time! :confused: But, it did. On a whim, I put 3 or 4 different tapes in and they all played and ejected just fine.
I want to say that this was due to a flaw with the tape cartridge, but I don't see anything wrong with it. To be safe, I think I'm going to get Maxell from now on, since they're recommended so much by folks here at hr.com. I'm sure both decks are still due for service, though.
Sorry I can't explain it any better than that ... but I have no clue why it did what it did.
I'm happy anyway ... at least I can get back to my own stuff now. :)

Back