cleaning an ADAT

1manband said:
I purchased an Alesis ADAT XT with a error message that says cleaning required. Can i pop a VHS cleaning tape in it, or do i need some fancy schmancy ADAT cleaning tape?

A cleaning tape will not do much at all, sorry to say. For thorough cleaning instructions, read this:
http://www.alesis.com/support/notes/Record/HEADCLNG.html

You'd better make the procedures a routine quickly, because you'll probably have to clean it a lot...

(Thank heaven for my HD24!)

WATCH OUT!!!

If you are going to clean it you better be careful. The cleaning instructions i have are for a black face not an xt but they are close in the rotating assemblies. I got them from "Audio Electronics" in Dallas/Ft Worth , Texas.
The heads are highly polished and a cue tip used on the surface of the head can damage it. If its damaged the shop told me they had to remove it ($125 / hr) and send it to alesis for repolishing ($360) and reinstall it ($125 hr). They also do a realignment of the head by lazer.
I do clean mine but I talked with the techs and got instructions faxed to me.
I do not recommend any tapes for cleaning. Another secert is every time you punch stop, push it again to remove the tale from the surface of the head. This will prolong the head life (hours on drum).
Good lucck

Back