Can I use a HD24 for live recording and playback using the insert points? Urgent...

Groovacious

Due to the lack of channels on my 16 ch MACKIE VLZ pro (small live rig, can't expand) I have to find a recording device like the ALESIS HD 24 -- and it also has to function as my back up playback device.

The only connection points to my mixer where this could work are the insert points.
Do the levels of the mixer's insert points and the level of the analog inputs and output of the HD24 match?

To clarify:

I have a laptop playing back a lot of tracks thru a MOTU 8M into the mixer's line inputs. All inputs are taken.
The ADAT would be my backup playback device for tracks, clicks and certain monitors and be switched to playback mode if the computer ever goes down.

This means it would stay connected to the insert points at all times and I would monitor through the recorder - hopefully with zero latency.

Thanks for reading and brainstorming with me folks - really appreciate it!
Stephan

Since I just used mine to record live I don't know if the input monitor goes through conversions, but if it does then there will be latency.

My HD24 was hooked up to my Mackie 1604VLZ Pro for several years. I was using compressors on all 16 channels so I put 1/4" splitters between the insert sends and compressor inputs. That way I tapped the pre-compressor signal for recording and the returns did not go through the recorder. You could do the same with insert tap cables. If you put your clicks and playback on tracks above 16 you can feed them to aux returns and still record on 1-16.

I don't think there'd be any latency. All tracks would have to be armed to pass audio for sure. I THINK Mackies are pre fader/EQ on the inserts.

Thanks everyone!

My prime concern is that the ADAT's levels are +4 dB and most insert point gear is -10dB (like a compressor unit)
I must get the same level on the ring side of the signal as goes into the tip side (talking about the insert point here.

This is why I am wondering if the level will drop significantly (almost 15 dB) when you stick the Mackie into the insert points which would render it useless for me.

Anyone willing to try this out ?
I need to buy the ADAT in the next 3 days or give up on the idea….

Thanks so much for your insights guys

Here is the simplest way to test this theory;

Connect a microphone to channel 1 on the Mixer

Stick a TRS insert cable (1/4 inch stereo plug to 2 mono 1/4 inch plugs) into the insert point on channel 1 of the mixer
Connect the two Mono plugs to the ins and outs of ADAT.

On the ADAT, put track 1 into input monitoring
Does the signal pass through without a huge level drop?

Btw the insert point is pre-fader

You are over thinking it. What ever level you feed the hd24 is the level that will come back out of it. Whether it's +4 or -10 will only make a difference to how quickly you clip the hd24.

Back