Buying a used ADAT LX20 (service questions)

mattforshort

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying another LX20 for my studio (I have two at the moment) to expand my recording setup to 24 tracks. The ADAT im thinking of buying has 1100 hours on its drum head timer. I have some questions for ADAT tape machine users on cleaning and service on these machines:
  • How often do you clean the head?
  • How often do you clean the rubber parts, and do I use the same alcohol on them as on the head (99%)?
  • Will I need to service the tape transport on a machine over 1000 hours?
  • What's a reasonable price for an LX20 with 1000 hours on its head?
  • Is it very important that the ADAT I'm buying has the same firmware version as the ones I own? How do I update the firmware version?

Thank you!

/Matt

When I was using ADATs heavily, I did regular maintenance/full cleaning every 3 months... note also that replacement of the Idler Wheel should be done regularly - I used to change mine every 6 months on machines with regular use.

For the pinch roller and other rubber parts, you DON'T use alcohol - you use rubber cleaner (often designated pinch roller cleaner) - alcohol will dry out the rubber....

Servicing the tape transport depends on the machine itself - depends on how it was maintained and handled daily before it got in your hands....

The firmware version shouldn't matter a whole lot.......

Check out this article by Eddie Ciletti --> http://www.tangible-technology.com/adat/usedadat.html

Thanks alot! I already read that article, it was very helpful as well.

I'll try it and get back to this thread with the results (I know all of you will be waiting eagerly ;))

Back