Broken Tweeter Alesis Passive Monitor MkII

Disease8

I am very lucky that I went on a bit of a spending spree and have two pairs of monitors because my normal go to monitors are out of action...

Realized on tweeter had gone on one of my Alesis Passive Monitor's.

The same monitor also has a slight crack in the bass cone which happened ages ago and independently of the tweeter blowing.

I contacted Alesis and they said it is either the tweeter or the crossover.

They said it will cost £20 for a new tweeter, and if I send it in to repair I will have to pay for postage there and back and they also cannot give me an estimation on how much they would charger to fit the tweeter/crossover.

Considering that these speakers are only £100 a pair = £50 per speaker it does not sound like such a good deal to me..

So any suggestions on which direction to take?

I think I should try and decipher if its the tweeter or the crossover (not sure how to but I have a voltmeter) and once I have worked out what is broken buy the parts and fit it myself.

Or I could just say "F it" and try to find someone that has one speaker they want to sell to me for around £50 as the bass cone is slightly damaged to and it would save time and effort... I have never noticed a difference between them regarding the bass cone though..

Hmmmmmmm....

Any suggestions?

Back