BRC--vs--DataSync2

BLISS

I hear the BRC is better to have than the
DataSync2 -- turns out I bought the Datasync
first AAAAANNNNND NOW someone tells me Alesis
BRC is better to have to sync up ADAT/Cubase
and it's easier for tracking.

can someone elaborate on this so I can figure out what to sell to get this BRC or should I stick it out with JLcooper DataSync2

Do you have more then 1 ADAT?

Your JL cooper box may be all that you need if you only have one ADAT. The BRC is mainly used for systems that 1) have more then one ADAT 2) where you may need multiple sync options available at one time 3)for people that like a bunch of buttons... :)

Really, I have been seeing all these posts about "comparing" a Data Sync II and BRC. There is no "comparing" them at all! The BRC is simply a better box with tons more reliable features for controlling ADAT's than any other box available. But, if you do not have more then one ADAT, it's rich features may not be needed.

But, ADAT's like to be the Master in any kind of Slave/Master system where multiple devices are used. It acts as the Time Code Master in any system that uses ADAT's or ADAT proprietary format. It will become your transport controller, ADAT digital I/O controller, master time code generator.

Let's say you have 1 or more ADAT's, a soundcard with software that can be controlled by external time code, and a sequencer. You have to have a time code generator to make all three synconize together. This is where a BRC will really shine. It has 48k word clock I/O, video (black burst) In, SMPTE I/O, and MIDI I/O. It can be made to be in Slave mode if you have to make something else the master time code generator (for whatever reason) or Master mode where many of the different time code outs are based upon the internal 48k word clock generator. So you can see that it provides powerful sync options.

As well, if you are using more than one ADAT in your system, you gain features such as Deck Delay, Track Delay, flexible Digital I/O between the decks (meaning that track 1 on deck 1 can be copied to track 7 on deck 2. If you try to digital copy without a BRC you can only transfer to the same track number on the receiving deck). It also offers killer Song Locate, 22 locates within the song, tape looping options, pre-roll, post-roll, track arming/disarming, all monitoring modes, and the ability to save all of it's current info to the beginning of an ADAT which can then be put back into the BRC at a later time to regain all that info for a group of tapes. Wonderful!

You will find that in production environments where there is a lot going on, the BRC offers very nice features for saving information that would otherwise have to be written down, and many locate features that no other controller does.

Often, when I am in an overdub situation, I am going to be bouncing around from song to song throughout the session. Instead of having to look on a piece of paper where the new songs locate point is, it is already saved on the BRC and I just punch a couple of buttons and the tape locates to it. Also, when doing punch in's, the same applies. I can just locate to certain parts of the song without having to look up where it is on the tape, just press a few buttons and hit the Locate button. Also, when I am mixing, I can set the BRC to loop the song. ALL THIS INFORMATION, LOCATES, TRACK DELAYS, ETC...CAN BE SAVED TO TAPE FOR LATER RECALL.

So, you may not have a need for all this flexibility. If you don't, a JL Cooper box may be alright for your needs. But, their products for use with ADAT's have serious limitations compared to a BRC. Also, many software solutions have limitations too, and tend to be much harder to use than the BRC. With the BRC, I am never more than a couple button clicks away from any of the information I need. It is all laid out in a very clever way right in front of my eyes. It has definately made production more efficient for me. I considered it to be some of the best money spent in the studio.

So, don't get confused by imitations, or claims that something "replaces" the BRC. If it is not a BRC, it won't replace it by a long shot. That is why the BRC is so expensive, because it is so useful and flexible.

You need to be able to assess what your needs are in your setup to determine if a BRC is worth the money. Certainly, a very versatile, flexible, well thought out system controller is attractive, but, it may also be overkill for your situation. So, you need to anticipate the amount of control and flexibility you need now, as well as what you may need in the future.

But please, do everyone go and start firing off emails to me with a bunch of "what if" questions. If you are not sure, read a little bit more. Ask you local dealers the intelligent questions. Explore what kinds of sync capabilities you will need and if your current setup will support that. There are many variables to consider and the amount of time it takes to make an informed decision is vast! I sweat over every purchase I make for at least a month and read everything I possibly can about it first and basically bug my studio consultant before buying. I have bought some bad equipment (one of them a DATA Sync II, and the ADAT PCI card!) so be prepared for that. But usually, when I buy something that didn't work out so well, I didn't research the product very well, so I had it coming.

Hopefully, this has shed a little light on this for all of you.

Ed

Sonusman: thank you (wiping my eyes) for the elaborate description of the BRC, entail I only have (1) ADAT with the option to purchase one later. Now that you have specified the BRC is basicall a better option beside the BUTTON factor I understand.

I did research the JL Cooper but felt it didnt respond as stated, also people telling me that's what I needed didnt help any. Then after I bought it, someone decides to say BRC is better.

I have worked with the BRC before at another studio, and understand all it's glory that it holds, I just thought with my (1)ADAT it wouldnt surfice, but I see I should not set limitations, I will get the BRC, and eventually the other ADAT. I will print out your (ESSAY)and study it closely when I purchase the BRC, thanks (plus I'll read the manual)

Back