blackface nOfO

tuna

Hi there !
I have a blackface adat, with ~62 hrs (it had been serviced and put new heads. long history short, I bought it by US$ 250 with the service and new head).
After using for a while, I got the er7 and the dot blinking.
I did the forward/rewind cue procedure as described in manual, and everything got back to normal, except because he pops up a nOfO warning sometimes, even in my formated and recorded tape.
They are maxwell blacks, I never had problem with this brand before.
Any tips on it ? I kinda have some techinical knowledge, so I can try to fix if its not critical issue.
Best regards, thanks.

:cool: The one thing I remember is to reformat the tape in its intirety with no interuptions, also if the tape is older or has been used several times this can cause the problem.........
Also make sure you are using S- VHS tapes and not consumer grade.......

da MUTT

Hi,
I had formatted the tape in one step, the whole 40 minutes.
Strange enough, I`ve been trying ot use it, and if I disengage the tape before rewinding it, the error doesn`t whos up...
Dont know what it can be, but I will try to buy a new quantegy tape to test.

That`s what I was thinking about.
I am willing to try to clean it myself. Found some sites about it, and I have some electronic maintenance experience.
THe only problem I face is the products they tell me to use.
Isoprop. Alchool is ok to find here, but that Tech Spray HidroEntangled Celulosis stuff I can`t even begin what is.
Other than that, I was used to test azimuth in regular tapes, and do basic cleaning in VCR ( 2 heads only ).
Any tips ?

is this any kind of isopropilic alchool ?
the matter is that I am in Brazil, and stuff has different names overhere...
Do you use only this liquid and cottom swabs ?

Don't use isopropal as it leaves a residue on the heads. The denatured is what you want. It's basicly alcohol and distilled water. And yes I use cotton swabs.

Thanks Track Rat.
I will try to find this alchool in special drugstores or homeopatic stores.
Seems very easy to do a basic clean uo in the heads. I wont try anything more advanced before this. Maybe in the future I will be able to do more maintenance myself :D

Best regards

Hi !
I am doing my search for the denatured alcohol, but seems like everyone overhere uses only isoprop. alcohol.
The other kind I found is the hidropropi etc one, which I think is more like the denatured, b/c seems like it has water in his formula.
A guy even told me that I shouldn`t use cotton swabs, but instead, make the adat plays and pass a sheet of paper in the tape path, which btw almost made me cry thinking in my poor adat being submitted to such violence.
If you got any other clue about the alcohol, I will be glad to try.
Best regards.

Wait a minute. I think iso- alcohol is the one used to clean heads. Denatured alcohol has other chemicals added to keep people from drinking it. I think that is what leaves a residue.

I don`t know alcohol too much... not even beer hehehe.
I never saw other alcohols than iso and this hidropro. Ah, and the anidre, anidro one, I dont know, that one they put on cars.

Back