Best Mixer to use with HD24XR

chris-from-ky

Hi,
I was wondering which mixer beit analog or digital is the best solution for use with the Hd24xr. I was thinking of the 01V96, DDX3216, or Mackie 24x8, or something else. I can't go much over $2500.00 Maybe $3000.00 if my wife won't divorce me over it. I'm going to try to finance the HD24 and a mixer all in one shot. Let's here your suggestions!!

Thanks,
Chris

What kind of instruments are you recording?
Are you going to be recording other people, or just yourself?

Well, starting out... just me. I want to learn the equipment before I bring anybody to my place to record them. And as far as instrumentation... acoustic and electric guitars, bass, drums, maybe a sax or keys. I want the best "all-around" in my price range.

Let's get some more suggestions, please and thank you.

Chris

I have been using the Berry Digi Mixer since it was released and it has proven itself to be a great workhorse for recording and live gigs. It may not be the best but it does what it says on the box and best of all will not break the bank.

I use mine with the ADAT interface and an HD24 no probs.

Any money saved can be spent on decent Mics and that WILL make a real Difference

"Berry Digi Mixer" Ummm... Did a search and nothing. Do you mean Behringer ddx3216? I've thought of that one too. Yeah, I could use a good mic but, I want the better quality that Yamaha has to Behringer. Better take your advice though, it's probably the advice I'd give you. I still dunno.

What are the rest of you hd24 owners using... wait! lemme guess: Soundcraft Ghost. or Mackie db8 or yamaha 02r?????

Later,
Chris

I use a Mackie 24x8 analog with mine... I'm thinking of changing to something much bigger though.

Velvet Elvis

chris-from-ky said:
"Berry Digi Mixer" Ummm... Did a search and nothing. Do you mean Behringer ddx3216? I've thought of that one too. Yeah, I could use a good mic but, I want the better quality that Yamaha has to Behringer. Better take your advice though, it's probably the advice I'd give you. I still dunno.

Chris

I know a lot of people slag Berry gear but I can only speak as I find and I think that the Berry is way beyond what we can expect for the price, the build quality is good, the ergonomics are brill. and it sounds pretty good as well (no digital nasties that I can hear).

Tony

I'm using a Ghost with my Radar 24. Digital mixers get pretty expensive if you want more than 8 channels of input. Then there is also the issue of do you trust the ADC's in the mixer. If you plan on using outboard processors the limited I/O can become an issue there too.

Best Mixer for HD24

I've heard some recordings on the Radar unit-- unbelievable! You are a lucky guy.

I'm on a smaller pocketbook and have found the behringer DDX3216 to work well with the HD24. Unfortunately the board only handles up to 48K. All that aside, I use the DDX to control the HD24 and it has worked flawlessly. I'm able to record all 24 tracks with the behringer using an additional outboard light pipe 8 channel extension, the Behringer AD-8000 (under $180.) The dynamic automation on the mixer works very well and is easy to use. Watching the faders move automatically in mixdown is pure visual poetry.

Anybody else out there using a similar setup?

I'm using a Behringer 32X8 analog mixer with my HD24.
The versatility is GREAT for the price. Never had one problem with it for the 5 years I've owned it.
As far as which is "best" to use with an HD,....??? Hmmmm,...dunno.

Later,...
Calwood

I use a Mackie 32x8. Even though you have 24 tracks on the HD the extra 8 channels on the board are very useful. For instance, I use them to "re-amp" guitars when mixing down or if I need another 8 tracks I will add on an ADAT tape drive and synch it to the HD. I believe that it is a good idea to have some extra channels on the board.

Anyway the Mackie is adequate, but I would like to upgrade to something else and have been shopping around. Frankly, I can't find another analog mixer at a reasonable price that has all the capabilities of the Mackie. I would love to have a Trident, but the $$$ are a problem. I checked out a Yamaha board recently, but it was more for live sound.

i'm using a yamaha 01v96 with the 16 channel adat card with my hrd. that gives me 24 channels of optical adat so a/d conversion only happens once. i haven't been using the 01v's pre's to track with tho as i already a few decent pre's (aphex 207, art pro mpa). it's turned out to be a really versatile rig. you should be able to get an 01v96 and a few decent pre's for $2500.

the yamaha digital mixers have been around arguably the longest and sound great to me. i've owned a promix, 01v, 02r and now the 01v96. the learning curve is a bit steep, but they're pretty deep boxes.

hope that helps,

tony

Yeah. I'm using a 01v96 w/ 16 channel expansion ADAT card with my HD24 via 6 lightpipes and a word clock cable and it's awesome. Also connecting a MIDI lead from the 01v96 to the HD24 allows you to use MMC to control the HD24 from the user definable buttons on the 01v96.

I'm also using it as a DAW for Pro Tools. Ut was really simple to install the drivers and set up PT - as far as I can see it emulates 2 HUI's - what's great though is you can scrub and shuttle using the 01v96 data wheel.

I'm very impressed with the desk and Studio Manger, although I too have used lots of 02r's etc. in the pat so my learning curve wasn't that steep.

Stu

I'm using a Mackie 32 x 8 as well. Love it. Lots of times I will go with my fave preamps directly into the HD24 and track thru the Mackie.

Got mine B-Stock for $2360, full warranty!

You could always shop around on ebay for a nice used tascam or the like. I got a 32 channel Soundtracs for $2000. I love it. I went with the british console because the eq's are supposed to be really nice. I haven't had a chance to really mix with it yet as I just ordered enough cable and connectors to hook it all up 2 days ago. I have used the preamps in her though and they are pretty nice. Much better than my crappy Alesis.

I baught my hd24 at sweetwater. I have a berh 3282 and it works real well. When i baught the hd24 i already had the board. The sales guy told me that the tascam dm-24 was a great to pair with the hd24. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM24/
He made me a good deal just over 3000 for both. I am in the process a building a small studio and both werent in the budget. I totaly intend to get the dm-24 next year. If you read what it can do it realy is a good match and not too exspensive.

Good luck

I have an HD24XR as well and just got an Allen & Heath System 8 24 channel, 8 buss mixer for 960 bucks to run my system.

For starters.. forget that Behringer. You might as well burn that money. The HD24 is just too good for a cheaply made mixer like that... that will not sound good and break within 3 years.

Honestly, look for a used Soundcraft or Allen & Heath 24 channel/8 buss system that has either inline monitoring or enough tape inputs to allow you to monitor all 24 channels.

Allen & Heath GL2200 is a great choice... about 1600 bucks.
Soundcraft Ghost 24 is good choice as well. About 2400 bucks.

These were the used mixers I was looking at for my own system until I came across the System 8 248 mixer.

Note--I'm highly prejudiced towards British consoles! :)

Forget the Mackie because in six months you'll be shopping for expensive preamps and eq's to get past that thin, bright, grainy Mackie sound. (I know, I just got rid of a Mackie CR1604.) Why buy preamps for extra money when you can have good sounding preamps on the console? Same with EQ. On my A&H I get a fat 4 band parametric.

Not bashing on the guy above with his 32 channel Mackie, but notice how he can pair it up with his favorite preamps? All that money and you still need better preamps? No thanks, I'll stick w/ my A&H's preamps!

Within your price range you should be able to get an amazing Allen & Heath or Soundcraft that you will prize for the remainder of your recording days. They are really good for those of use that can't get an SSL, Neve, Neotek or likewise. At least that's my opinion.

Back