Artifacts on the channel

Velvet Elvis

Ahh humma humma humma
Ed,

I was tracking some vocals last night and solo'd out the channel while I was listening for a few particular problems. I noticed while listening to the track that as the signal is dropping (after a phrase ends).. there seems to be drop out on the Adat. Its perfectly fine when there is singing going on, but as soon as it ends, the audio gets rather garbled as it is fading away. Is this the wonders of 16bit audio? Am I maybe not hitting the channel with enough audio during recording to get a strong signal through the A/D converter?

Just curious. You don't hear it in the mix, but its sure bothersome when soloing something out.

Velvet Elvis

Audix high end condensor mic...
Monster Cable 500 mic cable...
Mackie 24x8 console...
Hosa TRS-ELCO cable...
ADAT

I have also used my DBX compressor, but it doesn't matter if its in the path or not (I tried this on two different tracks).

V.E.

Hmmm...

I can at least assure you this is surely NOT "the wonders of 16bit audio".

Sounded like a gate problem, but you say it doesn't matter if the dbx is in the path or not...

Also sounded like a soiled capsule problem, but Audix is way too new for that; unless it's some how damaged. Do you have a different mic you can try to see if the same thing happens?

Can't think of what it might be.

Is it a vocal technique thing?

I don't know. I'm just listing off possibilities.

Yeah... I'm not sure. I have two identical mics, and have tried them both. So I don't think its related to the mic. It truly sounds like bad digital compression schemes (although I know the ADAT doesn't use them). So I'm kind of lost.

thanks
V.E.

Back