Alesis Studio 24 problem...

timmerz

Have a pair of Alesis Blackface ADATS into a Studio 24, running the main rca's out to a Yamaha stereo head with decent studio reference monitors to listen with...I get a great mix of all instruments (electronic drums are SO cool) and get the levels perfect for the mother recording (raw, no added effects, completely dry mother recording) and go to hook the system to my laptop and a heinous buzzing ensues, and the only thing that stops the grinding buzz is unplugging the rca's from the back of the Studio 24 or unplugging the stereo 1/8th" jack from the laptop...mind you, I get NO buzzing during playback through the Studio 24 to the stereo reference unit. It's only when the Studio 24 and the laptop are in the chain.
(Yes, I'm completely aware that the equipment I'm trying to use is heavily outdated, but this is the way we chose to go)
Any ideas?
Thanks a mil,
Tim

Get a USB interface to connect your mixer to the laptop. The line in is really noisy. Also, unplug the laptop power cord and run on batteries.

Get a USB interface to connect your mixer to the laptop. The line in is really noisy. Also, unplug the laptop power cord and run on batteries.

Whoah....thanks...great advice, right out of the gate! I'll try both tomorrow...

Got rid of the hum! Running on batt was the absolute answer! Thanks a million!

Now, a usb interface...my limited experience here is crippling me...can you elaborate on what I can do to achieve this? Is there an adapter I can buy somewhere, or is another electronic device needed to make the adaptation?

Have a pair of Alesis Blackface ADATS into a Studio 24, running the main rca's out to a Yamaha stereo head with decent studio reference monitors to listen with...I get a great mix of all instruments (electronic drums are SO cool) and get the levels perfect for the mother recording (raw, no added effects, completely dry mother recording) and go to hook the system to my laptop and a heinous buzzing ensues, and the only thing that stops the grinding buzz is unplugging the rca's from the back of the Studio 24 or unplugging the stereo 1/8th" jack from the laptop...mind you, I get NO buzzing during playback through the Studio 24 to the stereo reference unit. It's only when the Studio 24 and the laptop are in the chain.
(Yes, I'm completely aware that the equipment I'm trying to use is heavily outdated, but this is the way we chose to go)
Any ideas?
Thanks a mil,
Tim

Its only outdated if you listen to the haters.............I would how ever update to a pair of XT20s...

Back