Alesis SR18 - problem with first step in a pattern right after FILL

burtek

Hi
simple song example with user patterns: Pattern 1A -> FILL -> Pattern 1B -> Pattern 1B again and again.
The first step in Pattern 1B is drum kick, but right after FILL it isn't played, but all next Patterns 1B is starting with drum kick without problems.
Maybe someone knows someting about this issue ?

There is no problem with preset patterns. Firmware 1.02.

any suggestions please
thanks

Just check that the 1st kick is actually after the start of the bar. I am saying this as I used to do drum programming for a dance act and often to get the human feel the drums are played ahead or behind the beat slightly and this sometimes moved hits to the end of the previous bar.

i.e, say that start of bar 2 is at 2.1.1.0 but kick plays in bar 1 on 1.4.4.47 ahead of the beat, when the previous bar has no kick the 1st kick for the bar won't play.

Does that help?

Alan.

I've check it and kick is exactly in first step in a pattern, cause I use quantize. But when I set quantize to OFF (I call it "maximum step resolution") and put kick in second step, not first (in step edit mode) - there is no problem (except that kick is not precisely in the measure). Unfortunately this is very uncomfortable (and not in accordance with the manual).
Another test: there are many factory user patterns (I can edit it) and there is no problem, but when I just delete FILL rhythm between 2 patterns and I use even empty FILL only, the problem exist - first kick (and crash) right after FILL didn't play...... very strange

I love this drum machine but this bug irritates me so much.. :(

thanks
Bart

I wonder if there is a note off command sneaking in there somewhere, can you bounce the midi pattern to a sequencer software and see whats going on?

Alan.

hi
I bounced the midi pattern to PC and thare is no kick at the start of B pattern after FILL.

Has anyone Alesis SR-18 here ? This is short instruction to check this problem:

1) Turn on machine - starting at preset pattern number 00 (Rock 1)
2) press and while pressing SAVE/COPY than press REC(Enter). Now You've saved preset pattern 00 in user pattern 00.
3) press PRESET/USER to active user pattern 00
4) press B and next press FILL (B and FILL light on LCD)
5) while presssing ERASE (you see question FILL ERASE?) press REC(enter) - you erased factory FILL
6) press FILL to disable FILL text on LCD
That's all.
Now, play B (hit PLAY) and near the end of B part (of user pattern 00) press FILL (you hear short silence - it's normal cause you erased FILL) and next will start part A of this pattern but....without kick ! (without first kick only)

Bart

Alesis SR18 problem with A and B tracks created in Pattern User mode

Hi
simple song example with user patterns: Pattern 1A -> FILL -> Pattern 1B -> Pattern 1B again and again.
The first step in Pattern 1B is drum kick, but right after FILL it isn't played, but all next Patterns 1B is starting with drum kick without problems.
Maybe someone knows someting about this issue ?

There is no problem with preset patterns. Firmware 1.02.

any suggestions please
thanks

My problem is a little different but as a newbie I don't know where else to go!
When I use my Boss FS6 pedal control with my Alesis SR18 I can change from Pattern Preset A track to B track without a problem. However when I create an A and a B track in the Pattern User mode (following the manual instructions), I have the following happen: I activate the A track using the Start pedal - no problem - but when I press the pedal to cue up the B track, the A track goes silent - the LED is still counting down the beat - until the B track begins on cue. It is more strange because when using the Start/Stop and A/B buttons on the Alesis SR18 the change from A to B works fine.
So far no help from Rhode Island! Any help would be welcome. Ted

I've never used an SR-18, but if it works like an SR-16, whenever you play a fill the first beat of the fill pattern replaces beat 1 in the following regular pattern. Whatever you want to hear on the downbeat coming out of the fill needs to be programed in the fill, NOT the regular pattern. If it seems confusing, take a look at one of the Preset fills in step mode to see an example of how it works. Program a Kick drum at beat 1 of the fill, you will then hear the kick at beat one coming out of the fill instead of silence.

Back