Alesis SR16 complications

gjclifford

I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine - recommended by users and suppliers. It has some fab sounds but lacks one very simple but important thing...you can`t change the time signature from, say 4/4 to 3/4. or 6/8 All the presets are in 4 beat which is a huge oversight by the makers. Does anyone know how to set up a simple 3/4 waltz rythm because I can`t fathom it out...I await with baited breath...starting to hold......now!

From the manual:

"8.2D Odd Time Signatures
For time signatures based on quarter notes, changing the number of beats in a Pattern can
also change the time signature. Example: Programming a Pattern length seven beats long
will yield a measure of 7/4. Programming a Pattern length 14 beats long will yield two
measures of 7/4. Time signatures such as 2/4, 3/4, 5/4, 9/4, and so on are easy to implement.

For time signatures based on eighth notes, it's easiest to double the tempo so that each beat
lasts an eighth note instead of a quarter note. However, you will have to take this into account
when quantizing and setting the metronome—if the display says a quarter note, read it as an
eighth note.

Plan carefully when mixing odd time signatures within the same piece. If some Patterns use a
time signature based on quarter notes and others on eighth notes, you will need to double
the tempo for the quarter note-based Patterns to match up with the eighth-note based
Patterns".

Alesis SR-16 progarmming rythms

Thank you ErichS for your reply - I am very grateful, however I have read the manual forwards backwards and inside out - but alas it makes no sense to me at all. Maybe I`m dumb but I can`t change a 4/4 rock beat to a 3/4 rythm no matter how I try. Does this mean then that I will have to program my own pattern from scratch or is there a way to change an existing pattern and save it as a new pattern?

Why did Alesis makes this so complicated?

Back