Alesis QS7 and QS8.2 - DOORS/RAY MANZAREK ORGAN SAMPLES

dinodean44

Hello, my name is Dino, just registered to the site. I've owned the QS8.2 for almost 10 years, and soon the QS7, - I'm looking to get samples of the Vox Continental, Gibson G101 and B3 organs onto a card. I know that up until his death Ray Manzarek, of the Doors, used an Alesis QS8.2 and then a QS6.2 put into an old Vox Continental shell. Anyway, at his shows he had perfect Continental samples and in an interview stated that he uses "a bunch of custom samples on it".

So how do I get something like that? I am very bad with technology and have no clue how to even begin creating something. What kind of card is compatible with the QS7 and 8.2 - and how do I get samples, and/or put them on? I DO own the Vintage Keyboards Q Card but that does not have the G101 or a Doors-y Vox on it. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Also here is a link to samples already perfectly created. Any way to get these on a compatible card??

The forum won't let me post links yet but the site I'm referring to with the samples already made is:

VintageKeyboardSounds . com

(I still own an QS8.2)

You would have to hunt the internet (likely eBay) for a blank QS 8mb flash card.
good luck with that, the tech has been antique for some time.
You'd also have to get the programs from Alesis to make the sysex files and send them via midi from your computer.
(I don't know if they are even still compatible with modern pc's.)

Here's an example and some sounds. He's got a guide for card users on the page, too:
QS Sounds and Card User Guide

Thanks for the info! Like I said though, unfortunately I am terrible with using technology like this. I wouldn't even know where to begin once I got the card... can you dumb it down for me? Are you saying:

get the card/ find samples online/ then put on the card with a MIDI program?/ put card into keyboard?

Would the sounds from that site I provided work? (VintageKeyboardSounds . com) Also someone I contacted about this same matter told me it might not fit on an 8MB card cause those samples from that site are on a CD - which might mean they could be 100's of MB?

Thanks again!

I agree getting the vintage keyboard card is a much better alternative for you. (if you can find one...)

The link I posted before has the instructions, but there is little dumbing down I can do.
Midi is a 1980's arcane technology made by old-school programmers, not musicians. Little is easy in it.

You'd be far better off saving your pennies and getting a new keyboard with much better sounds rather than fight 15-year-old technology.

Yes, I do own the Vintage Keyboards Q Card, they do have a couple Vox Continentals on there and some B3's, however nothing very Doors-y sounding for either. In a gadda da vida Vox, 96 Tears Vox (or was it a Farfisa?) and some Hammonds, definitely NO G101 though. I see what you're saying, I'm sure Manzarek was able to afford the best programmers to do this for him; I can either get a different keyboard or find an expensive programmer!

Back