[SOLVED] Alesis Multimix FireWire Firmware

SCJ

I recently attempted to get a Multimix 8 FireWire mixer working with Windows. Many people familiar with this combination will be thinking "what a waste of time". However, if you have this product and you wish to use it with Windows, read on.

To cut a long story short, I now have my Multimix 8 FireWire working with Windows 7 64 bit. And working well I might add.

As a result of these efforts, I recently posted some comments related to this experience on Alesis' forum (community.alesis.com). The entire post is contained in a PDF attachment to this post. This post highlights several apparent failures with Alesis' product support, most notably stating “There isn't a firmware update available nor has there ever been one posted on the website for your Multimix 8 Firewire”.

The Alesis forum post was intended to allow Alesis the opportunity to respond and rectify what I believe to be several errors and/or omissions in their actions and statements. Alesis' response was to hide the post from view.

Not only are Alesis refusing to help, but they are actively obstructing community members helping each other. This I find to be an incredibily belligerent reaction on their part.

So I came to this forum. If anyone needs access to this firmware, I am happy to make it available, assuming the moderators of this forum have no objection.

As I see it, if you own one of these products and it has the older firmware version, the product is faulty and you are entitled to the update. Clearly Alesis are not going to help. That should cover off any copyright issues.

Attachments

• Alesis Multimix FireWire Firmware.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 137
Thank God! I own Alesis MultiMix8 Firewire for years on my desktop. And just like you I've had this problem with my Win 7 x64 system. Many attempt to solve the problem, but I just could not figure out what's going on. Alesis forum has never helped. Your post really made my day. If you dont mind, pls share the firmware so I can try. Thank you so much for the light. Let me know if you can not post attachment here. We can work on Google drive or email if needed. Again, thank you so much for the light! It's awesome!

See the attachment for download details.

This is the original zip file I downloaded from Alesis on the 8th of April 2012 (despite their claims to the contrary).

It contains three files:

1. A PDF Readme - the installation instructions.
2. Windows x86 Multimix drivers.
3. The firmware update itself.

I strongly recommend reviewing the readme CAREFULLY. This is a little confusing, as there are numerous scenarios laid out and the precedure varies.

As I recall, the procedure requires Windows XP. This means you need a WinXP machine to do the update. For me, this would have simply meant swapping out the hard drive in one of my machines (must have a FireWire interface) and doing a quick WinXP + SP3 install on the fresh drive (I then swap the drives back when complete to return the machine to its original purpose).

No need to be fussy about getting all the correct Win XP drivers for the machine, if you are doing this just to be able to install the MultiMix firmware. An out of the box Windows installation should be fine.

If you don't have XP any more, it should be readily available on eBay for next to nothing.

Coming back to the firmware update readme, if you use a machine that was "built for the job" (as I did), then I think the scenario you would use is "C. Fresh Installation" (but make sure you check this for yourself).

I would also be sure to use the MultiMix drivers from this firmware update file (I also have newer XP drivers, but I doubt the firware update would work with them).

Hope I was able to help.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• Alesis MultiMix FireWire Firmware Update.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 138
Back