Alesis multimix experience anyone?

jes

I'm looking at buying a alesis multimix 6fx and am looking for input. Can anyone tell me about their experience with any of the multimix line? good, bad?

Also, in your direct experience, how does the alesis multimix line stack up against similar priced mixers from mackie, berhinger, yamaha, peavey, etc.. regarding pre-amps, etc..

Any input is appreciated. It would be actually pretty cool to start a review thread here since I haven't found any threads specifically on the multimix line.

Thanks

I have a MultiMix6FX. I've had it for about three months and so far it works pretty well--better than the Behringer I used to have.
The caveat here is that Alesis has very uneven quality control and there are no guarantees that other units of the same model would work as well. In addition, if you do have a problem, the personnel in technical support at Alesis are rude and about as helpful as an aqualung for a fish.
If you have the money, instead of the MultiMix6, purchase some good rack mounted mic pres and multiFX units. It might be more expensive in the short term, but if they produce a higher quality sound and offer better support in the event something does go wrong, it will be worth the added expense.
Almost all the dealers such as Musicians Friend, AMS, 123Music, ZZounds, post user reviews on their websites. Also check the reviews on Harmony Central and WholeNotes.

Yeshausfan... expensier mixers (beeter than alesis multi mix 16) like what...give some models and advantages than alesiis. something that can record more than 8 inputs at a time and some with good recording quality and good price... any experiences?thanx

thomas_cansing. . . I'm afraid I do not have the expertise to recommend other brands. I'm only reporting what my negative experience has been when dealing with Alesis. The problem we face as musicians seeking to do our own recording on a budget in between working a regular job to pay the bills is that we do not have mountains of cash lying around to do A-B testing between Alesis/Behringer/Nady/Samson/Phonics and whatever other inexpensive brands and even more expensive brands are out there. Like I said in my previous post, so far I've had good results ("good" meaning that I've been satisfied with them), but the fact that Alesis has a reputation for uneven quality control and downright rude (if not hostile) technical support staff when one encounters problems are big strikes against them. I also recognize that other people may have had positive experiences with technical support that leads them to the opposite opinion of Alesis' tech support. If you have access to local dealers who will allow you the opportunity to field test equipment you are considering buying, deal with them. Talk to other musicians in your area who have home studios and find out what they are using. As I said, read the reviews on the websites maintained by dealers like MF, AMS, SamAsh, ZZounds, and others.
Also check out the gear forums for mics and rack equipment on this website. There are a lot of helpful threads there--with good and bad reports of equipment. Just be forewarned (if you haven't encountered it yet on this site) that there are some of what I call "equipment snobs" who, at the very mention of words like "Alesis" or "Behringer" or "Nady," will heap abuse on anyone who dares to ask if such makes of equipment are even worth looking at.
Sorry if this sounds sort of preachy (my wife says its one of my worst faults) and is short on specific brand recommendations, but I can only write from experience and I'm not going to suggest checking out something I've never used--it wouldn't be honest or respectful to you.

I just ordered a Multimix 12R, which is the rack mount version of the Multimix. Here's a review from Sound on Sound:

Multimix 12R review

I got it for $185 on eBay, I'm planning to use it mostly for the pre's and as a monitoring mixer during tracking. I do everything in the box, so I just needed something very basic with a decent signal path. The specs look very good, and the only reviews I've found have been positive. I know Alesis has had QC problems in the past, so I've got my fingers crossed!

I'll post some notes on it as soon as I get it and can play around with it...

thanx a lot Yeshuasfan!! all check that out... i seen the yamaha mg166fx has nice features, guys from sam ash told me its good and people m do buy it a lot buts thats not enough...thanx so much anyway if theres news let me know... ;)

keep post of your ex[eriences with your new multimix,JOhnsuitcase. thanx for answering too!!

Back