Alesis multimix 8 usb or firewire??????

Patrick Q

Talking about Alesis mutimixes I wonder if I can just ask some advice from anyone using them. After much boring and painful research I narrowed down what I need (both as an audio interface for my laptop and for live use) to the Alesis Multimix 8 usb 2 or the same in firewire version.
The problem is that buyers reviews say the usb 2.0 version runs really hot and statements like "I don't know how it would behave on a long session" bug me somewhat since I live in Italy which itself gets really hot in the summer! This goy me looking into the firewire version but the problem is that my lap top can only have firewire 400 fitted (or so I've been told by the computer shop) so my question is: Would this be fast enough? Is it worth spending the extra money on the firewire version and can I be sure that this version won't overheat as well?

I have an Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0, and it does not get very hot. It sends 16 tracks via USB to my laptop at the same time. I have recorded 8 tracks at once without any problems. I would recommend the USB version but be sure you upgrade the drivers and firmware from the Alesis site when you get it. :)

iv'e got an alesis multi mix 8 usb and that had no heating problems wat soever has been a good little mixer so far. however this is not the usb 2 but since the usb2 is the newer of the 2 i wouldn't imagine it would have a problem the old one did not.
xxx

I have the Multimix 8 USB, but not the 2.0 version. I actually just turned it off after accidentally leaving it on overnight (a total of about 16 hours) and it didn't seem to be overly warm. This is with two phantom powered condenser mics plugged in.

yeah im using a 8 usb 2.0 and i will admit that it does heat up quite a bit and when i first got it i was worried, because after being on for around an hour its alot hotter than other 'bedroom' interfaces ive come in contact with, but as much as it does heat up, it has never been a problem when it comes to performance it is still a good little mixer that does what it needs too, but i would be cautious using it in such a hot climate such as italy and point a fan at it or something, if you have any other problems with the mixer post them and ill check back,

the one thing i can say is that if you are running windows 7 or vista 64 bit, buy the firewire version (i wish i did) as alesis do not yet have 64 bit drivers for usb versions of the mixer which is infuriating to be honest.

Niall

No more firewire

Alesis pulled the entire firewire line off the market months ago so don't buy one, they are refusing to write working [64 bit] drivers or anything else, and a class action law suit is looming. Your best, only, option is another brand that has proven to work and from a company that offers support if needed.

Talking about Alesis mutimixes I wonder if I can just ask some advice from anyone using them. After much boring and painful research I narrowed down what I need (both as an audio interface for my laptop and for live use) to the Alesis Multimix 8 usb 2 or the same in firewire version.
The problem is that buyers reviews say the usb 2.0 version runs really hot and statements like "I don't know how it would behave on a long session" bug me somewhat since I live in Italy which itself gets really hot in the summer! This goy me looking into the firewire version but the problem is that my lap top can only have firewire 400 fitted (or so I've been told by the computer shop) so my question is: Would this be fast enough? Is it worth spending the extra money on the firewire version and can I be sure that this version won't overheat as well?

I can't recommend avoiding the firewire version enough. I have a multimix 8 firewire.

They have serious quality control problems with them, and the firmware is buggy to say the least.

I spent hours and hours trying to get it to work, and finally convinced them it was a dud. They replaced it with a new unit (after more hours and hours).

Spent a couple hours trying to get the new one to work --- it came closer to working, but had a whole different batch of problems.

I threw in the towel and don't use the firewire connection. Don't waste extra money on the firewire version.

Hi, The Multimix 8 USB is a very different animal to the USB 2.0. I have used both. I have just bought a Multimix USB 2.0. It runs really hot. To the point where the main channel level controls become stiff to turn, even at no load idle. I am a qualified electronics engineer with 30 years of bench work as well as being employed by a UK university R&D lab. This product, though amazing at what it does will possibly cause issues with over heating in a hot climate. I have spoken to Alesis (well I have asked them the question without reply) and will post their response when I get it. If I wasn't suspect of this as being a problem, believe me I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time registering with this site or posting a reply. Potentially over time, the overheating problem will cause dry joints causing it at best noise and possible failure. Unless the main pcb's are soldered with high temperature solder, this will happen eventually. I cannot understand why there are no vents on the case anywhere. An easy fix would be to retro supply a vented bottom panel but due to warranty issues this would have to be replaced be Alesis or a recommended workshop. Apart from the over heating it is a great little interface/mixer.

So can the Alesis Multimix 8 usb 2.0 multitrack??? Because I want to record my band live but i'm not sure if this mixer records each channel to track. BTW i have a mac

I also have the Alesis 8 usb and the onley time it gets really warm is when I use the phantom power for any lenght of time.

Hi

I have a MultiMix 8 USB 2.0.

I can get it to work with my DAW but any other content won't play through my speakers (i.e. Safari, VLC, Quicktime)

I'm on a mac osx 10.8.
I have Multi Mix selected in the System Preferences - Sound

Anyone have any ideas?

Back