Alesis Multimix 16 FW problem

Foranamo

Hi!
I have recently bought an Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire. Now I am having a bit of a problem.
I have installed the mixer to a laptop and to a desktop computer. Both computers have different problems.

The laptop:
The laptop is a less-than-year-old Amilo with decent specs. It is mainly in the use of my father, who uses it with Cubase VST32 5.1 to record choirs and sequencing with a Technics keyboard. My father installed the mixer with the drivers supplied on the cd. Given that my father knows nothing about computers, the installation probably went really bad. So, I uninstalled all the old drivers and got the newest ones from alesis.com. It all went well and was easy. Next, I started the old Cubase. It wont let me select ASIO Multimix, it shows an error (IIRC): "Error opening dice bus device". So, I tried the "Alesis Multimix"-driver. It opens, I get sound in and out. Problems start when I activate any input besides the first from VST Inputs. It starts popping up errors about not being able to re-assing outputs to similarly numbered outputs on the new ASIO device with buttons "Save song", "Proceed" and "Cancel". Proceed gives me the same popup again in a few seconds, so it renders VST32 completely useless. After fighting with that for a few hours I installed the supplied Cubase LE. Same stuff, not being able to select "ASIO Multimix". LE's problem is it's input limit. When I try to activate more than 2 stereo pairs of inputs, it tells me that "Cubase LE doesn't support more than 4 inputs". What do I do with a 16-channel mixer if I can only use 4 channels. I'm going to try that computer with SX later, as it works well otherwise.

The desktop computer, my primary production station:
Install went well, I then started my SX2.2. After finding out there's no "ASIO Multimix" in the VST Multitrack-menu, I select Alesis Multimix. It works, indicates decent latency and everything. I plugged in a Fender jazzbass and a Shure SM58 along with some VA-goodness, I find out I can record all 16 (or 18, if I want the main mix too) simultaneously with no problems. I'm happy, but as soon as I press play, I realize the multimix was going to put up a fight. I get no playback. VU-meters move, everything is as it should be, I just get no playback. Yes, the right buttons were pressed on the mixer. When I closed cubase and opened winamp, chose Alesis Multimix as the soundcard from one of the output-plugins I instantly got sound out of it, from the headphones-out and the digital out. How come it doesn't play back? Cubase records but doesn't play back, Sonar records but doesn't play back. Reason with ASIO-driver doesn't play back, it doesn't play back with WDM-drivers, but with "dx Alesis Multimix" chosen it plays back.

So, if anyone has an idea, even the smallest one, I'd be delighted.

Thanks in advance.

Sadly, it seems, no one has any hint for me.

I do have good news, my gf had her birthday last saturday, so we bought a new laptop for us as her present. The laptop has very good specs, but the fact it has Vista in it made me wonder if I had any possibility of getting it to work. But, after an hour of tweaking, I did it :) Sonar 6 with latest updates supports Vista and so does multimix firewire's newest update. So, now I have at least one computer I can use with my Multimix 16 Firewire.

Once I got it working, the mixer is great.

Did you get this fixed by chance?
I just got the Multimix16FW and LIVE is only recording and not playing back.
I can select the device in the windows sound control and so on, but it never ever plays a sound.
It plays the line-in's, but it's playing nothing that's coming from the computer.

I can select it in LIVE, it will play but I don't hear anything!
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Did you get this fixed by chance?
I just got the Multimix16FW and LIVE is only recording and not playing back.
I can select the device in the windows sound control and so on, but it never ever plays a sound.
It plays the line-in's, but it's playing nothing that's coming from the computer.

I can select it in LIVE, it will play but I don't hear anything!
Any ideas?

You must have 2TK pressed, either the one that goes to the CTRL Room outputs/phones, or "2TK to MIX". Have you done that?

A problem on my desktop was that I got no sound out of cubase, but winamp played through the multimix nicely. So it was a hardware conflict or something, but in your case I'd recommend to check that right buttons are pressed on the multimix.

Ya, I did all right. Nothing ever got a sound of the thing.
The Alesis support told me the 2tk routing or firewire is screwed, i shall send it back. Did so...

Thank you tho

So you'll get a new one? Anyway, I hope it works out for you. Like I said before, I had some major issues with the board with different computers, but once I got it working it's a great mixer for it's price. I'm recording a prog-metal-gospel -band with it atm.

nah, I just gave it back and got something different from MOTU.
this one works, but it's giving me lots of noise, hissing, clicks. I wonder why it's doing that.

It's a bit late for me to post this, but this forum is more inactive so I'm guessing it's ok. I've been researching a new laptop purchase and learned some interesting things. Most laptops use a cheaper firewire chipset (Richot) and that is usually the problem. Sometimes it's made worse by how the FW shares processing with other devices like optical drives.

Long story short? Try to get a laptop with a texas instruments firewire chipset. Otherwise get one later for it using the express slot or pcmia (I forget what it's actually called) slot. Usually that's the bottleneck that needs to be freed up.

There is a good read about this on the reaper forums:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16194

Back