Alesis Monitors

COA23

Hello, everybody! I'm in the process of upgrading my band's rehearsal/recording studio. I've pretty much got my mics decided, and now it's on to monitors.

Originally, I intended on getting JBL LSR305s, but the $250-300 is worrying me due to a personal issue, being my dog having to have surgery. The surgery cost the same amount and I don't think I can afford the JBLS. :(

This is what I have in the control room right now. It's not much, but it's working alright. They're nice and loud and sound good, but of course, they color a lot.

GOgroove 2.0 USB Computer Speakers System

I'm looking at two pairs of Alesis speakers.

Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Studio Monitor Speakers (Pair)

Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Studio Monitor Speakers (Pair)

Which of these do you think would be the better bargain? I'm not really looking for anything too flashy or special. I don't mind sending the mix to my phone and walking out to the car, listening through my phone speakers, phone headphones, etc. You know, listening through various devices to get an idea of how it sounds.

Which pair would be the flattest?

Sub-$100 to $150/pair is my comfort zone. $200/pair is pushing it.

To be honest.......and I know you're asking for advice on which of the two to buy..........I would wait until I could get the JBL 305's.........no question....hands down. If it's at all possible.......wait. They're the real deal for sure. I've tried so many monitors and have played that "next one better that I can afford" game too. Trust what you probably already know if you've read much on this forum. The JBL's are your goal.......and spending any portion of the money you can save for them...........only puts off the inevitable. Just my 2 cents.

To be honest.......and I know you're asking for advice on which of the two to buy..........I would wait until I could get the JBL 305's.........no question....hands down. If it's at all possible.......wait. They're the real deal for sure. I've tried so many monitors and have played that "next one better that I can afford" game too. Trust what you probably already know if you've read much on this forum. The JBL's are your goal.......and spending any portion of the money you can save for them...........only puts off the inevitable. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I'm gonna be getting all the mics first unless the band's drummer forces my hand into getting him a new throne. All the throne is is a thick-cushion Mapex that's like $80, but I'm holding off because mics are more important to me. Lol.

I've already got two mics, an SM57 and an SM7.

What are your reasons for suggesting the LSR305s over the two Alesi?

Check all the reviews you can find on all three of the models. You'll get overwhelming information.........starting with frequency response on up.........to give you a good idea of how they compare. Look for such things as "10 Best Monitors" in a certain price range..........etc......etc. Lot's of guys here have the 305's. Do you live near a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center? You can probably hear the JBL's there. Trust your ears.

You're obviously not interested in monitoring professional audio where you're looking at bottom-feeder prices. Why not save up for some good, "average" monitors like the Yamaha HS 5's or HS 8's? Very practical. Very affordable. Very well made and extremely dependable. Save your allowance money for a year or two and be good to your music by providing it AND your ears with tools that won't embarrass your friends, sound good and will put you in the audio monitor pro game. :guitar:

Hey All,
I've been using the same Alesis Monitor 1's (with an Alesis RA100) for about (sheeesh!) 20 years now. I have to be budget conscious, even though I am in love with music and its subtleties. They're bright, and I had to learn how to not overcompensate with the bass frequencies, which will appear much louder in standard systems (e.g., once you bring your mix to the car for an audition). But I can't complain about their dependability!

I own M1mk2 actives. I like them. They function. They seem durable. But they are not USB and they were more expensive than your price range.

Back