Alesis Midifex Box

nickjc

hey guys,

I just dug up this old effects box someone gave me. All it says on it is Alesis and MIDIFEX, no product number or anything. It's got effects like "echo long" and "multitap reverb". I think its a guitar effects box (?). At the back its got 2 RCA inputs and 2 RCA outputs, a "mix" knob between the two, and "midi in" and "midi out" ports also. how in the hell do I use this thing? just get RCA adaptors, plug my git in and go, or is it more complex than that? I realise my description isn't much to go on, but can anyone help?

cheers,

nick jc

The Midifex was Alesis' second MIDI capable preset effects unit, which came out in 1986. It was a mate for the original Midiverb, which looks just like it except it has a Blue top instead of orange. Alesis made a rack-shelf to mount them side-by-side.

It has line-level inputs and outputs so you don't want to plug a guitar directly into it without a preamp in between. You can use a Y-adaptor cable to feed both Midifex inputs from a mono source. As with all reverb/delay type effects it's best to have the Midifex as the last thing inline before your amp or mixer.

Set the input level so that the green LED is flashing most of the time and the red LED only blinks occasionally. If the red LED is on continuously the input is too hot and you'll get the dreaded digital distortion.

The only adjustment is the Mix level on the back. If you're plugging directly into it (not using an effects send on a mixer) use the MIX level to adjust the effect to dry mix. The Stereogen programs (60-63) should be used with the effect turned all the way wet.

It's not a bad little device. It can really thicken up a guitar. Here are the specs:

Frequency Response.....30Hz to 10 kHz
Dynamic Range.............75 dB
Input impedance............50 k Ohms
Output Impedance.........600 Ohms

:cool:

Back