Alesis M-EQ 230

marmes

I am having one heck of a time finding the exact answer to this question - I can only find clues. Hopefully one of you M-EQ 230 owners out there can help me.....

Are the 1/4" ins/outs on this unit BALANCED??

Thanks.....

Yeah, I saw that:

Input Impedance:
500k ohms (unbalanced)

Output Impedance:
240 ohms (unbalanced)

Input/Output Jacks:
1/4" L/R, RCA L/R

Does the impedance specification mean that all ins/outs are unbalanced or that this is the spec for the unbalanced in/out (i.e. the RCA)? Other units usually say specifically whether or not the in/out jacks are balanced. The above just says the in/outs are L/R. Gee thanks Alesis. I was ready to conclude that if it doesn't say balanced, it probably ain't, but then I saw this page

http://www.pcavtech.com/sig_proc/summary/index.htm

and now I've got to wonder......

I would think that Alesis would have listed that the I/O was balanced if it indeed was.

I cannot account for what was listed at that website.

Ed

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. They usually like to flaunt it if they've got it. Anyway, I've got an email into Alesis Cust Svc so we'll see what they say.....

We will see if they EVER reply to your email. I have never got a reply from them in that manner. And with their recent ownership change, it would appear that Customer Service has become even worse yet!!!

Anyway....I will bet my next weeks income that it is only unbalanced I/O (not much of a wager this week....;)) This unit is not considered to be professional in nature.

Ed

Shine a flashlight in the 1/4 inch jack socket. You should be able to see whether it's TRS or Mono.

But then again... I'll match the bet with my next week's wage that it's not a balanced input.

Steve

I got an answer from Alesis, which follows:

------------------------------------------------------
The MEQ230 is completely unbalanced.

"Alesis Technical Support"
------------------------------------------------------

Right off of their web site!!! LOL......

"For versatile, powerful and affordable EQ for live sound reinforcement or in your project studio, the M-EQ 230 is your best choice."

I have mixed live sound for, oh, almost 15 years now. I can't imagine trying to use a product that is unbalanced and calling it "powerful".....:confused:

Anyway, just another of my many Alesis jabs. It gives something for mnicoletti to do....;)

Yep, not to mention using it in your "project studio"!?! Yeah, see, I like to use unbalanced units in my home studio. That extra little hum adds a special "something" to my otherwise clean, quiet
digital signal :rolleyes:.

Well, you can blame something else for that really. In short signal paths (less than say 10 feet) unbalanced is just fine. I actually have a few effect processors that run unbalanced +4 signals and they are quiet enough for my uses.

Ed

Back