Alesis io2 Express - Recording in stereo

Marcell Simó

Hey guys

I've bought an Alesis io2 Express soundcard and I have a problem with it:

When I plug my RODE NT1-A condenser microphone into the io2 and start recording the result is only in mono. So I know that if I plug it into the left slot then I only hear it in the left speaker so I should create a mono track in the recording sotware (Sony Vegas pro 11)

How do I do this? Or if there's anything else I should do what is it?

Thank you in advance

so I should create a mono track in the recording sotware (Sony Vegas pro 11)

Hi there.
The short answer is yes. Your microphone is a mono source so you should record it to a mono audio track.

Ordinarily an audio track (whether mono or stereo) will play out of outputs 1+2.
The pan control will allow you to position your mono source in the middle or anywhere else.

Thanks!

But the problem is that I can only create a stereo audio track which is centered but I still only hear it from the left speaker.

It's been a long time since I've used vegas, but it definitely did mono and stereo tracks.

I recall someone asking the same question recently and they had an io2.
I wonder if there's some (stupid) limitation with the hardware?

You cant track in mono with IO2 you have to get the IO2 driver to do so if im not mistaken but I really dont think you can I think its the actual harware. most use io2 to record instruments because there are always in two track format. I wish people at GC would send people like Marcell to us FIRST so we can help them make their purchases GEEZZE!!!

No good.

Protools has an option on stereo tracks to "split into mono".
That separates a stereo track into two mono tracks.

Perhaps vegas has something similar? You could then just delete the blank mono track.

Okay guys I figured it out here it goes:

Right click on your stereo audio track and select Channels. Then you have a couple f options there to make it mono as you wish.

Thank you guys for your help.

Back