Alesis HD24 - Inputs 9 and on dead?

nomad1970

Hi,

Recently I noticed 4 channels on my mixer were showing signal activity, even though I wasn't playing any audio. When I brought up the faders, it was a humming sound, probably around -20dB or so.

I isolated it to the HD24 - which wasn't even turned on at this point. I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. Pulled out both drives, and it powered up. After trial and error I determined it was one of the drives that was stopping it from powering up - in otherwords, drive failure.

However, I notice when I'd power it up, it would sort of power up twice, and then initialize disc, and everything was ok.

I did a reset, by holding play / record on power up from mains - that seemed to correct that problem.

The problem now, is although I can play back existing audio on tracks 9 and on, I don't get any input to them... they do arm. I can record and playback on 1 - 8 though.

Yes it is a 24 track project, did I change some setting by resetting the HD24? I've had it for 7 years with Zero problems.

Is it toast, time to buy another before they're discontinued?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

nomad

They have been discontinued. Open it up and make certain all the ribbon connectors are seated properly. It could be as simple as that. Other things to look for: Power supply problem. Failure of the something either on or feeding the A/D converter board.

Thanks for the reply.

I figured out what happened. After I reset the hd24, it set itself to record from all 24 inputs. With my setup, I only have 8 physical inputs to the HD24, and so had it ganged in 8's. After setting to 8, all is cool.

Oh, btw they haven't been discontinued. The 96KHz model has been, but not the standard model. I think I'll buy one anyway as a backup as I see nothing but more computer based gear on the horizon, which I use for mixing, but cannot stand recording on one.

As I recall, you can also buy the upgrade, so in effect, the 96K is still available.

Sign up for the Yahoo HD24 group. LOTS of great info available there, including info on what IDE drives work with the HD24, fully-developed software that greatly increases the utility of the HD24, sources for caddys- cheap, and an adapter that allows you to use SATA drives in place of IDE's.

Agreed on the HD24 group. Alesis has discontinued making anything involving the HD24. No new manufacturing or development. Anything having to do with the unit is simply selling off existing inventory. After sales support is almost nothing. Numark, the parent company, screwed the pooch on this product.

yeah, Newmark does not seem to give a tinker's damn about the HD24, they only want to cash the checks.
We on the yahoo group are keeping it viable, and I would LOVE to pull some of those smart folks together and BUY THE HD24, lock, stock and manuf. rights, from Newmark. WE would develop it, I promise you.

Back