Which Alesis ADAT?

Revmuddy

OK so...I swear up and down by analog and have a TSR-8 and 424MKIII etc, etc...but my bass player loaned me his Blackface Alesis and I think I'm hooked! They seem like a very reasonable way to add a bunch of tracks...then bounce them over to analog for the fat tone etc...
So if I want a used ADAT which one is the best to buy? I know there's a "Blackface" an LX and a XT so which one is the best and most reliable? Which model came first? The XT-20 seems to be the last one they made is that right? The one I'm using has 742 hours on it and works great. Is the Blackface supposed to be the best? What does it take to hook 2 of them together for 16 tracks? Lots of questions I know but try to help me out if you guys will! Thanks in advance.....Rev :)

Revmuddy said:
OK so...I swear up and down by analog and have a TSR-8 and 424MKIII etc, etc...but my bass player loaned me his Blackface Alesis and I think I'm hooked! They seem like a very reasonable way to add a bunch of tracks...then bounce them over to analog for the fat tone etc...
So if I want a used ADAT which one is the best to buy? I know there's a "Blackface" an LX and a XT so which one is the best and most reliable? Which model came first? The XT-20 seems to be the last one they made is that right? The one I'm using has 742 hours on it and works great. Is the Blackface supposed to be the best? What does it take to hook 2 of them together for 16 tracks? Lots of questions I know but try to help me out if you guys will! Thanks in advance.....Rev :)
There is no "best" model. Blackfaces, XT's, XT20's, all tape-based ADATs sound different. They sync together with one ADAT sync cable. If you like Blackfaces, a pair or 3 units used would be a good choice because they are affordable. If you prefer the XT20 sound, before buying 2 or 3, I would suggest buying a used HD24 hard-disk unit; 24 tracks I/O and hard-disk recording, no VHS transport issues, for around the same cost used as 3 XT20's. Transport maintenance and problems are the main drawback of the tape-based ADATs.

Back