Alesis 3632 Buzzing Problem

byrongore

Hey everyone. I'm still a n00b at setting up a home studio. I bought a 3632 Compressor and I have a Balanced shielded cable running from the output in the back into the guitar jack in the front of my Fast Track. There is a terrible buzzing sound. I went out and bought a Furman Power Conditioner in the hope that would solve the problem. But no joy. The buzz is still there as loud as ever. Is it the way I have set it up that's causing the problem? I don't wanna have to go out and spend even more money on even more equipment just to get this compressor up and running. I've been searching everywhere for the answer but I'm yet to find one. I appreciate any help you can give me on this as I really want to get a nice clean recording. I do have a soundcloud upload of the buzzing but I'm unable to post URL's until I have made 10 posts.

The output of the compressor is designed to plug into a line input not a guitar input. What is plugged into the compressor input?

Alan

Witz is right. Rack compressors are (almost?) always designed to take line level inputs and give line level outputs.

You wouldn't want to plug a guitar or mic straight into this compressor, nor would you want to plug the compressor into a guitar or microphone level input.

Unless you're compressing something with a line level output, like a keyboard or active instrument, you'll want to place the compressor in a line level effects loop.
Look for send + return on the back of your fast track; What model do you have?

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

My fast track has line outputs left and right that are being used with my M-Audio BX58 speakers. . All it has on the front are as follows. XLR input and one half inch input for guitar. The back only has the USA port and the line outputs.

My Behringer has an FX send but no return.

Here ya go.

Specs on the Fast Track:

Features:

2-input, 2-output audio interface
Compatible with most popular recording software including Pro Tools M-Powered 8 and GarageBand
24-bit/48kHz professional sound quality
Plug-and-play USB connection (USB 2.0 compatible)
XLR microphone input with gain control and 48V phantom power
1/4" instrument input with gain control
1/4" stereo headphone output
RCA stereo speaker outputs
Output level knob for adjusting volume of headphones and speaker outputs
Direct monitoring button
Powered by USB—no power adapter required

Alan. The Behringer is plugged into the Compressors Input from the CD/Tape output left and right. I forget the name of the cable. The one with the red and white Male ends and a 1/4' male end going into the compressors input. and I have the 1/4" output from the compressor going into the 1/4" guitar input on the fast track.

Alright. Now I'm connected this way. FX send form the Behringer is going into the the compressors input using a shielded 3 foot 1/4' cable. The output of the compressor is running into the right stereo Aux Return in on the mixer. Again this is a shielded cable but it is much longer. Maybe 10 or 15 foot. It works but I still have the buzzing. The buzzing isn't there when I plug it into my lap top. Only through my Rain Event Mini Computer System. Oh and again everything it powered through my Furman Power Conditioner.

Wait, there's a behringer??Where did that come from?

Ultimately, your audio interface isn't designed to take line inputs.

Unless your behringer is a usb mixer, you've got some mismatched gear.

Ideally you'd have an audio interface with line outputs/effects loop for the compressor,
or you'd use your mixer as the front end with the compressor in its effects loop, then feed the mixer's final output to line inputs of an audio interface.

Does that make sense?

Wait, there's a behringer??Where did that come from?

Ultimately, your audio interface isn't designed to take line inputs.

Unless your behringer is a usb mixer, you've got some mismatched gear.

Ideally you'd have an audio interface with line outputs/effects loop for the compressor,
or you'd use your mixer as the front end with the compressor in its effects loop, then feed the mixer's final output to line inputs of an audio interface.

Does that make sense?

Makes sense. I have put the compressor through the effects loop on the mixer. But the mixer has no where else to plug in apart from the 1/4" input on the front of the fast track. My system did come with an 8 input Tascam. But I swapped it for this Fast Track because the Tascam had an issue with windows. It had a really bad memory leak that was unfixable. I bet that had all the input I needed for this :/ Lets see.. When I have made 10 posts I can just post a picture of my setup.. Cheers guys! :)

Unfortunately the 1/4" input on the fast track is designed for instrument level, so it's far from ideal.
That being said, it should work, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it in the long term.

Alright here is my full setup with links to the gear so you can see the specs.

By the way I seriously appreciate the help you're all giving :)

Gear:

Behringer XENYX 802

Behringer: XENYX 802

M-Audio Fast Track

Amazon.com: M-Audio Fast Track USB 2 Computer Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

Alesis 3632 Compressor

3632 Compressor Dual Channel Compressor / Limiter / Gate

Furman M-8x2 Power Condidtioner

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8x2-Merit-Series-Conditioner/dp/B003BQ91Y6

Rain Event Mini computer system

Rain Computers Event Mini Audio Computer | Musician's Friend

Alright. I just did another test with the buzzing sound. It's all silent until I open up any recording application. If I click on the window sound recorder the buzzing starts. As soon as I close it the buzzing stops. The same with Pro Tools. As soon as it starts to load the buzzing starts. And the same with Cubase. I'm monitoring the sound at all times via my fast track direct monitor function. Maybe it's a computer setting causing the buzzing?

If you're using the direct monitor function then that rules out the PC and any software, theoretically.

Direct monitor lets you hear exactly what's coming into the interface in real time.
The point of it is that there's near zero latency, because there's no software processing taking place.

Plug in your interface only and enable direct monitoring. You may have to have recording software open to do this.
Plug in a guitar (or even just a lead and tap the tip of it) to test that you're really hearing any direct input.
If you hear your guitar, or the cable buzz, then unplug it....It's time to start process of elimination.

If the buzz is not present with nothing plugged in, add the mixer to your setup.
If it's still not present, plug a mic into the mixer,
If it's still not present, add the compressor.

Do it all 'live' so that you can hear exactly what piece of gear is introducing the buzz.

We can guess, but really only you can prove what's causing the problem.

I'd guess that any normal or acceptable buzz/hum would be accentuated by the fact that you're plugging line level devices into a instrument level input.
The instrument level input is looking for a quieter signal that line level would be, and therefore is amplifying more that it needs to.
That means buzz that you never notice will become more apparent, but still, I don't think it should be really obtrusive.

Let us know how you get on, yeah?

Thanks again for the reply. Yes after trying everything one by one it only buzzes when the compressor is added to the mix. As soon as it's plugged in. I'm also trying to work out what cables I should be using. Still.. It doesn't buzz on my laptop only the PC.

Right now I have it set up like this. I have the Input of the compressor plugged into the FX Send of the mixer and the output plugged into the Left AUX return. The only problem I have is that I have the mixer going out into my little Fast Track via the CTRL Room out left. I'm not using any insert cables. Just regular 1/4' cables apart from one balanced 3 foot 1/4' running from the output of the compressor to the AUX return of the mixer.

At a guess they are probably not the best choice of cables? Oh and I only have the left channel of the compressor plugged into the mixer. I never thought that hooking up recording hardware would be so difficult lol

No problem.
I didn't see your video until today. Thanks for posting it.

Too much stuff is wrong dude. :P
Since your using the guitar input on the maudio (not balanced), none of this really matters,
but Ideally you wouldn't combine mixer L+R outputs like that.

You'd probably be better just using one straight cable from cd/tape left to fast track input,
or better yet, from main output to fast track input then just pan any use channels to the left.

I don't know if your effects send + return are balanced or not, but if they're not then your compressor isn't seeing a balanced signal, no matter what cables you use.

My guess is this is what's happening, and the compressor doesn't like being underneath a power conditioner+screen. ;)

Try moving all audio devices and cables away from all power supplies/transformers/laptops/computers etc.

The reply on your youtube channel echoes my point about level mismatches.
A guitar input being unbalanced could easily be the source of this whole problem but I understand people can't just buy gear left, right and centre, so try moving stuff around like I described.

Last edited:
Thanks again man!

OK I'm gonna look at a new setup as far as the room goes. I don't have a rack mounting (not yet anyway) I now have the Main out going into the Fast Track. Still buzzing of course. I really really wish I still had my Tascam. It had all the Line inputs. I still find it strange that only the PC gives the buzzing and not the laptop even with the same setup. Maybe with a re adjustment it will help reduce it. I will let ya know and then post a new set up vid. Thanks again! :)

Simple solution: ditch the 3630. It's a notoriously crappy compressor and you can get better sound and more versatility with any decent plugin. If you are having trouble with clipping your inputs then turn down the preamp gain.

Simple solution: ditch the 3630. It's a notoriously crappy compressor and you can get better sound and more versatility with any decent plugin. If you are having trouble with clipping your inputs then turn down the preamp gain.

It's a 3632, but I don't know first hand if that's much better or not.

Byron, It doesn't surprise me at all that this problem is unique to one computer.
The noise you're hearing is generated by your computer.

Like I say, the reason it's getting into your audio stream is most likely because your compressor is too close to power conditioner and screen, and/or you're not working with a balanced system.

Back