ADAT XT20 with strange FF problem

jwhmca

In FF mode it, as it gets towards the end of the tape... say past halfway, it begins to slow down and make a grinding noise, then come to a 99% stop. The 1% moving is this twitching where you can see it's still trying to FF.

The tire seems fine. In Capstan test mode I can put a ton of pressure on it and it will still spin fine.
The impedance roller and tach roller seem to spin very freely.

Once the tape is past the half-ish way mark and has come to a stop, (above problem) any subsequent FF commands will cause the tape to FF again without problem for about 1-2 seconds and then get so fast that it makes this weird "tape shell vibration" noise, then comes to an abrupt stop and do the twitching forward problem.

Sometimes it will "hunt" all over the place (speed wise) and make its way through an entire tape. But it sure seems like it is not able to handle the "weight" of the tape on the takeup reel, but can pulls "tons of load in the capstan test mode (my finger offering friction.)

The tech I used to use moved back to his 'family/home in east europe' some where.
Time to do DIY and start 'boning up on the service/repair manuals..? :)

..although, what about search on 'DAT and/or 'VCR repair-

Back