Adat head cleaning

Jason001

Has anyone ever performed this manually?
It seems to me it can be done if your very careful not to move the head. Has anyone encountered problems?
I apologize if this is a redundant question.

[This message has been edited by Jason001 (edited 04-10-2000).]

I have done it a couple of times.

Be sure to follow the instructions from Alesis tech support to the letter and to take your time in performing this task. It is very easy to render your head stacks useless by messing up. They are about $450 for the headstack, and a couple hundred for labor to replace.

A shop would probably only charge about $60 for a cleaning and to make sure that other alignments and specs are in order. Think about it.

Ed

If it was a matter of bringing it to a shop and paying 60 bucks I would just do that but,I live way up in northern Minnesota and there are no shops around. The first Adat I bought had a bad transport. I called Alesis tech support and they told me it happens alot during shipping. So, I'm leary about shipping it to someone. I am thinking about buying the video from Alesis, ever checked it out Sonusman?
I am sure I have the ability to do the job I just want to know as much as I can so I can check all the little extras too.
Thanks for "coming out" hee hee (no hard feelings right?) shared passions and all
Jas

Ah, I'm not such a bad guy once you get used to my approach... :D I seldomly mean to sound as harsh as I come across. But, "I yam what I yam" as Popeye liked to say.... :)

Just be careful cleaning the head stacks. No coffee (or lots of it if you are addicted and go through withdrawls like I do.. :D) before you start.

Make sure you have the proper clothes that are recommended for the cleaning. A scratchy cloth will damage the head. And only use the solution that they recommend. Alcohol, no matter how pure will leave residue. So will other magic potions that can be used on VCR heads. But the solution recommended by Alesis does not leave residue at all and is the only thing you should use.

Don't fall for the stupid abrasive "pop it in and press play" type of cleaners. They are bad for the heads. I know, Alesis endorses a certain product, but I suspect they are trying to offload a warehouse full of head stacks by recommending that approach to head cleaning.

You will want to stock up on some Idler Wheels too. They will go bad every 150-300 head hours.

Good luck.

Ed

I'm interested in that question too. I've had the one LX20 for about 3 years now and am kinda just waiting for some signs that it needs maintenance. I have noticed once in a great while a 'scratchy' sound during playback, but so far has been corrected by a 'turn off/on' deal like they tell you to do when you call Windows support :D
I know, 3 years is probably a little long w/o a tune up. But, so far no tapes eaten and all still sounds good but is there something specific to watch out for?

In thinking about it I probably don't even have 300 hours on that 3 yr old mahine ... which actually is kinda sad. Just proves that I'm a slave to the Man and not doing enough music. :(

Hell, it has been awhile since I have had the problems associated with a bad idler wheel. As I recall, you will have problems when rewinding to a locate. The buffer will fill up and the tape won't get to the locate point.

The idler wheel is a very simple replacement. Alesis even recommended that I do it myself.

Ed

I know that the red asterik on the upper right of the display is an indicator of trouble(when it flashes alot)and an er 7 after power up indicates the heads need to be cleaned but,I have not read anything telling the signs of a bad idler wheel. Maybe inspecting it is the only way. I was a slave to the man too. Now I make a living doing jingles and scores from my home, sweeeet!
Jas

Watch out for the little spring when replacing the idler wheel, I replaced one a while back its very simple but that darn spring will jump out on ya real quick and its very small, the one I took out you could tell alot of diff from the new one the little rubber o-ring was worn a good bit.

Back