ADAT Edit? a good deal?

Dom Franco

For 300 bucks... is it a good thing.

I would have to upgrade my computer and sound card, but I would get 8 more tracks!

Any one have an ADAT Edit? Tell me about it..

Thanks;

Dom Franco

I am surprised that no one has responded to my questions about ADAT EDIT....

I can't imagine that no one in this forum has ever tried one! It seems like a cheap way to replace a BRC?

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

First off Dom, I kinda was going to leave this one for sonus...Where you at dudeman?

Second..I've got a card coming (If my lazy drummer will bring it to me to install on my pc) I still have to learn how to use it though) we only used it for a short while and drummer boy had to move to memphis, so I really have"nt used it one on one.

Third...I'll get R-i-p-p-e-d!! for this :), all we have done with this card is transfer eight tracks to the pc..mix&edit etc. I know it says something about the adat card acting as a virtural adat, and that sums up really what your talking about..right?..does this mean you can ,,transfer,mix&edit,transfer back to adat??...sonus? anyone?

Fourth (and last) Sorry I did'nt post sooner but I knew I really was at the same place you were on this, You and I both need to read the manual on this..I've got to. If you have already, share it please! :) sorry I could'nt of been more help sir, but I did "reply" :D

D.Gilmer

Thanks.... I haven't purchased one yet, so I was hoping to get more information before spending the money. Additionaly...I hate computers in general, and even more hate them in the studio. I'm a hands on guy, I like to feel the "Knobs" not click on a mouse.

However the BRC controller is expensive and I think the ADAT Edit can do alot more than just edit?

So I continue to ask "ANY ONE OUT THERE?"

I really value the oppinions of the people on this forum, and there is no substitute for experience.

Thanks

Dom Franco

DOM. The ADAT PCI card can in almost no way replace a BRC. Primarily, the ADAT PCI card is used to transfer ADAT tracks to the hard drive for editing.

The BRC is used to control a number of features in multiple ADAT machine configuration. It is so expensive because it is a controller that works flawlessly for it's intended use, which is very different than the ADAT card.

I have the ADAT card, and wish I could get my money back for it. It simply is a pain in the ass to get to work right, and it requires a lot of work, and a very strong DAW to even transfer two tracks at a time. I have heard of not one person who has easily installed one and had it working right out of the box. Most people have stated that they spent many hours waiting for tech support and several occasions to get the card to function properly at all. Basically, it is a nightmare.

It is not like "having another ADAT" because you have to have some other D/A converter to hear your tracks once they are on the hard drive. It does not have A/D/A converters at all on the card. Also, it does not sync with any other soundcard that I know off. Also, it does not support any midi functions, or as far as I know, sync to midi in any way.

I am not sure what that card actually does well, except transfer your ADAT tracks to the hard drive. At $300, it is twice the price it should be in my opinion, considering the fact that you still will need another soundcard that supports 48kHz files to actually hear them.

Other companies are making card that have ADAT I/O as well as two A/D/A converters on them, and are usually around the $500-600 price range. A much better deal considering that you can actually hear the ADAT tracks that you transfered. I would advice looking into them. I just don't think the ADAT PCI card will provide you with the features that you may want from it.

Ed

I just installed an Adat Edit card and had no problems at all. It was up and running in 10 minutes on my lowly Apple Performa. I have had
no trouble transfering 8 tracks and adding 8 more and editing them;but I am looking at upgrading to Logic Silver or Gold. I got it used at Harmony Central for $200 and am very happy. Good Luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dom Franco:
For 300 bucks... is it a good thing.

I would have to upgrade my computer and sound card, but I would get 8 more tracks!

Any one have an ADAT Edit? Tell me about it..

Thanks;

Dom Franco
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I bought mine two weeks ago and I just now got it working. It is a pain to set up and not for the faint of heart. Several things I learned in the process. 1. Disable everything that runs in the background,i.e. screensavers, virus checkers etc. 2. Disable all drivers listed under My Computer/Control Panel/Systems/Device Manager/Sound,Video and Game Controllers before installation and evertime you run the program. I could not get the drivers to load or the program to operate until I did this. 3.Also, make sure when transfering tracks that the Auto Input switch is set correctly on your Adat or the computer will not transfer from that Adat but will instead go to the next in the chain that is set correctly. 4.For playback, set the Playback device to Adatpcr (1+2), then set that Adat for All Input. You should then be able to hear what you have done.

Back