ADAT/Edit/Connect

wagonburner

I am using 2 adats. Can I use the adat/edit software to edit 16 tracks and send them back to tape? Do I need 2 Connect cards to hook them into my PC? Is it a waste of time and money? opinions please.
Thanks for the help,
W.B. Urner

In the Mac, multiple cards are supported, PC version, multiple cards are not, so the 2 card thing is out if you have a PC. You can import 8 tracks at a time, for more than 16 if you want. Why do you want to send them back to the ADAT's after editing?

Alesis suggested a Dakota setup. They sent a link to the site.
I would like to be able to put it back on tapes after editing so I'll have some master tapes in case my computer explodes.
Thanks.

What OS are you using. The ADAT PCI card will not work under MS 2K or XP.

If you are using 98 or ME, let me know. I have an ADAT PCI card for sale.

Don't buy an Alesis ADAT edit/connect card. Almost useless. Try a used Sonorus Studi/o or RME Hammerfall card with adat i/o. Using these cards will allow you to record on the ADATs and transfer to the computer, or use the ADATs as digital I/O converters only and record/playback from the computer's hard disk. You could add plugins/efx to the computer tracks and backup to the ADATs on tape. Less wear and tear on the ADATs as well. MOTU 2408 mkI/ II interfaces allow ADAT digital transfers as well, but there have been driver issues with using them with PC's in the past.

If I were to run out of an analogue board into the ADAT with an Elco connection, could I then run out of the ADAT optical into the Hammerfall lightpipe in, then back out of the hammerfall into the ADAT and back to the board for monitoring what is being recorded
Not sure how lightpipe works

Thanks

Dr Shock,
That's exactly how it works. You'd then be using the ADATs as digital converters only, the tracks recorded onto the computer's recording program and hard disk and the songs stored as multi-track .wav or .aiff files.

Back