Which ADAT to buy to get more out of my 001.

sicrecords

I want to get 8 more channels out of my digi001. (viva la pro tools). I'm already direct-outing the first 8 channels of my mixer to the 8 1/4" inputs on the 001. So I guess I'm wondering what's the cheapest ADAT I can buy that will give me the additional 8 channels (via the lightpipe send and return on the 001 card). I've read the Alesis LX20 is cheaper than the XT20, mainly due to different front panel features, and different i/o options, but if I'm only going to pimp the ADAT for 8 more channels to pass through to my 001, do I care about this?

More ramble than most requested so summary:

What is the cheapest way of getting 8 more channels via the lightpipe to my digi 001. I'm using an Alesis Studio 32 inline mixer as a console.

The cheapest way to get 8 channels of ADAT lightpipe into/out of your 001 rig would probably be with a Behringer ADA-8000 for 200 bucks.

I use one with a MOTU 828MKII going into SAWStudio on my laptop for the same purpose, and have no complaints.

It has 8 mic pre's,/line level inputs, and 8 balanced outputs, I use the MOTU's wordclock output into the ADA-8000's wordclock input for sync.

hope this helps a little.

Can you give me more knowledge on the whole sync issue. I just figured the ADAT served as a conversion adapter more than anything. Why do I need to sync the clocks? Or when do you need to sync the clocks.. I've only used my 001 until now and never thought about syncing anything because it's never come up besides what i see as potential options in the option screens.

Maybe i should start another thread or at least search before posting this post but.. oh well.

Back