3630. What the ? , How could I not know?

DoWSB

No really. I have 2 3630's. I bought them because I liked my Midiverb 4, and assumed that the 3630's would be good units as well.
My band's newest demo was recorded using them. Every single track went through a 3630 connected to the channel inserts.
I've been pretty happy with them, and WAS planning to use them on our first album project, but after reading what you guys had to say about them makes me sick at my stomach.
Are they seriously that bad?!?

I will put a link to the song if I may.
The song that was done ENTIRELY through 3630's is 'Application 3.2'.
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.cfm?BandID=86850&content=music

Please let me know what you think, how it could be better with better equipment, and what equipment would be better.
When we do the album, I want to do it right, and obviously need some help.
Thanks,
David of Wheatstone Bridge

David,
I am on dialup so my time is limited to how much I can actually dl and listen to. I just wanted to say that if your happy with the gears performance isn't that really what matters? I've never used a 3630 so I won't say one way or the other but at the end of the day, if it gets the job done, I wouldn't be worried about what others are saying. Yes there are probably better tools for the job but don't get your panties in a wad. Now that you have some different opinions go and try some other stuff and see if you like it better.
You will get more replys if you put this in the mixing clinic.

DoWSB said:
No really. I have 2 3630's. I bought them because I liked my Midiverb 4, and assumed that the 3630's would be good units as well.
My band's newest demo was recorded using them. Every single track went through a 3630 connected to the channel inserts.
I've been pretty happy with them, and WAS planning to use them on our first album project, but after reading what you guys had to say about them makes me sick at my stomach.
Are they seriously that bad?!?

I will put a link to the song if I may.
The song that was done ENTIRELY through 3630's is 'Application 3.2'.
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.cfm?BandID=86850&content=music

Please let me know what you think, how it could be better with better equipment, and what equipment would be better.
When we do the album, I want to do it right, and obviously need some help.
Thanks,

Yeah...they're pretty bad compressors for recording. I use one on our PA and it's not too bad. The noise gate helps reduce feedback, but even for this application it wouldn't be my first choice (or second or third, or fourth, etc.), but our drummer picked it up on e-Bay cheap (drummers :rolleyes: )

Anyway...if you are on a budget you can buy the Real Nice Compressor new for $175 and they are truly brilliant...especially for the money (actually even not considering the money it's pretty great).

I forget who makes them but you can do a Google search for Real Nice Compressor and it will come up. They have a new mic pre now too that I want to check out.

I don't understand something: do you like the way your stuff sounds? Do you like the 3630?

What I hear you saying is that you used it and liked it well enough to try it on a whole song, but once you heard people talking trash you second-guessed yourself. Don't do that. Do you think Paul would have included a french horn solo on "Penny Lane" if he had taken his peers' advice?

We can sit around here and BS all day, but in practice things are alot different. Every piece of audio equipment can serve a useful sonic purpose in a studio setting. Every piece.

So, I say trust your ears, not the ears of others.

That being said (and since you asked for it) I listened to your song(s). I liked them! If I had to point out sonic flaws, I would say that you've got too many high-mids and highs. There's a real lack of low end and mid crunch. It's hard to tell whether that's because of thenstruments chosen, the mics used, the media type, or what. It might be the 3630; it might not...

Anyway, if you get to the point that you decide you hate your 3630, you could do the blacklion mod, which is cheap and easy, and will make it sound great... according to some people ;). http://www.blacklionaudio.com/black_lion

Maybe I overreacted a bit. It's just that SO many people are so adamant in their disgust for the 3630.
One thing I can say though, is that my recordings now are far better than they were before with no compressor at all.
I would like to have access to a top end compressor for a week so I could compare, and see/hear what I may be missing.
In the meantime I am not going to stop using my 3630's.
Thanks for the black lion link. I did not know such a mod kit existed, and it's definitely an interesting option. I actually like board level electronics work.
Also, thanks for the input about the mix(s).
I think I may take wireneck's advice and post these songs in the mix clinic.

Back