3 (or more) questions about the HD24....help!

kensington

hello folks, I'm looking into the possibilities of digital recording, and am considering (among others) the Alesis HD24 or XR. I had a few preliminary questions, so thanks to any and all for helping out.

1. How does the Alesis hd24 sound quality compare to the higher end stand-alones....Roland 2480....DPS24.....SX-1le? I know a lot depends on the mixer your using.....let's say with a good British console?

2. What is the info I've read mean about not being able to UNDO an overdub on the HD24? Does this mean I can't undo a punch-in to retrieve the previous take? Not sure I get it......this seems like a basic, important function,
undoing overdubs.

3. What mixer do you use with your HD24? How do you patch I/O of a 24 or 32 channel board that only has direct outs (fine), inputs and channel inserts......with no dedicated inputs for the 24 outs of the HD recorder?......
I mean without repatching all the time?
I know with some boards you can "half-click" on the channel inserts.....I'd rather not do that......I tried that on a Mixwizard 12 for my TSR8 analog deck and it did not work as it does on a Mackie. The signal was too low. (so I got the Mixwizard 20:8:2 dedicated 8-track mixer). But, 24 Alesis tracks.......what do I use? Soundcraft, Topaz.....the Allen Heath GL2200 has only 30 mono inputs....the GL3300 has 32. I don't get it. How do you guys patch up an HD24 to a less than 48 track mixer? Some sort of seperate patchbay? I'd like to hear from everyone, but especially British board users on the last questions. Thanks very much for the help. :) :confused: :) all the best to you. kenton

I'll answer one of those. On the HD24,..you CANNOT UNDO a recording. Whenever you press the record button,..you cant undo it. Although it does have a rehearse function. Of course if you get a take that you like but think you can do better,..than just go to another track. If they are all being used then you could export a couple of vital tracks,.... to a new song,...record your take,...then import it back to the original. Or maybe an easier way is to copy and paste the take that you like to another part of the track to keep it in kind of a "buffer",...then try to get a better one,..if you cant,..then just paste the original back. Pretty simple. There are ALWAYS ways around limitations of the gear your using.
Hope it helps,...

Take 'er easy,..

Calwood

Alesis HD24 sound quality: All digital recorders sound different from each other, but the sound quality of the HD24 is very good.

The HD24 works like an analog tape recorder... it records and keeps the last take or punch in or track you record. There is no undo button, there are no virtual tracks. If you're used to working with tape this is not a problem.

You can use an analog mixer with individual tape I/O on each channel, an analog 8-bus mixer and use the 24 channel tape returns to monitor but use the 8 busses to feed channels 1-8 on the HD24. The HD24 groups recording channels in groups of 8; signals on 1-8 are also available on 9-16 and 17-24 unless you record to each channel directly. I use a 32x8 Topaz.

Back