Tascam DM24/Alesis HD24 Vs Behringer DDX3216/Alesis HD24 Vs Akai DPS24

calkaren

Tascam DM24/Alesis HD24 Vs Behringer DDX3216/Alesis HD24 Vs Akai DPS24
Ive narrowed it down to these 3 choices.
Any feedback on preamps, EQ, reliability and so-on greatly appreciated.

All comments welcome now! :-)
Thanks, Calkaren

You do have to consider that the Akai takes away the need to buy a snake, and the patching nightmares that comes with that.

And the pres are pretty good compared to the other two choices.

Preamps

Thankyou Board and Darrin.
So you think the Akai pre-amps are better than the Tascam DM24?
Ive always liked Akai samplers alot. I think their converters are really good. Maybe Ill check out the Akai a little further.
Thanks.

I didn't like the AKAI, but I don't usually like all-in-one units. The flexability isn't there. I have the DM-24, HD24 thing. It's great. I am still getting used to it, but the sound is awesome. There is a learning curve though.
I would say head down to your local shop and check them out. I picked the tascam over the DDX because of flexability and scalablility, but the DDX does have a built in meter bridge and costs a lot less. There are options.

MIKE

calkaren,

If you have alot of money to spend, of course you can do better than the dps24. A DM24 and HD24 cost more than a dps24. There are pros and cons to any recording setup. You have to make the choice on what you want and how much your willing to spend, and how much time you want to spend learning how to use your new system. But again, for the bang for the buck the dps24 is your best bet and it is easy to get started with. It can get tuff the more you want to do, but you can learn on the fly. I've seen dps24's for $2600. All you need to go with it is some kind of monitoring system (I use a oz auido qmix for headphone mix), some monitors (nearfield type is fine) and at least one good condenser mic. If the pre's bother you, buy a 1 or 2 channel mic pre. They can be had for under $500 for good ones.

Peace

EQ Pre comparison

Mastahahnke and Boardman, Thanks for your replies. Both good arguments. What do you think of the mic pres? Some say the DPS24 are better, and some say the DM24 are better. What do you think?
Also how about the EQ on the DPS as oposed to the DM24?
They both sounded pretty good. Not that impressed with the Behringer EQ. It sounded a little hollow, even though the features and eq options do have a good range of choice.

Boardman, What kind of setup are you using?
I would have to admit that both the Akai DPS24 and the Tascam DM24 sounded both good. The I havent listened to the Alesis HD24, but my hunch is that its about as good as any digital recorder out there. Ive done enough work on ADAT XTs to trust the results.

And, what kind of pres do you suggest?
Thank You for your feedback. It meens alot to me. You guys seem to know what your talking about.
Calkaren

calkaren,

I guess I should make myself clear. I don't have a dps24. I have a dps16. However, I have tried out a dps24. The basics are the same between the two. If you want to see my rig, go to www.verdigrisband.com and click on studio. You will see what I use. For pres I use a behringer mx3242x board and run direct out to the dps16. I also use this board for monitoring along with my qmix for headphones. The eq on the dps is great and easy to use. The dps16 and 24 don't have as many choices for fx as the dm24, but all are user editable, so in a sence, you have ulimited choices. Tascam makes great gear. I am not saying that the dps24 is better than the dm24, I am just saying for the money, the akai is a better by. As for flexibility, you can't get more flexible than an all in one unit. I can do anything I want from basically one unit. I don't need a patch bay and a lot of external gear. Everything is self contain. Very easy to use. Again, you have to go out and test drive all the different ways to record digital today and deside for yourself what is right for you. Use your own ears to deside. All of us use different gear and hear differently. I use a behringer board and there are a lot of people here who think behringer is at the VERY bottom of the food chain. I totally disagree and am very happy with mine. The pre's are as quite as Mackie's which I had. You can get great advise here, but in the end, you and only you can deside what you like. So go for it. What ever you do, when you buy, except it and learn how to use the gear you buy. You'll be surprised that in the end, there isn't a lot of difference in the sound quality of home recording gear and I stress the HOME RECORDING part. The is not a forum on how to build a Hit Factory or Abey Road studio. Hope this helps.

Peace

Boardman

I was facing the same situation as you, and i went with the DPS24. It really is an amaizing machine. Once the VST support is released it is going to be even better :)

-Ryan

Don't get the HD24. 10Base-T Ethernet! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I like spending all day transferring files into my computer!!!!

Back