New Akai Mpk49..best Midi Controller Ever

i seen that joint and it looks sick but i just got the axiom 61 a min ago. and to me this is the top of the line imo the akai is supposed to be somewhere between 399-599 usd so i've read on other forums and my board does everything it can do plus mine has more keys that are hammer action style there are some things that the akai is supposed to have that this board don't which is a built in appregiator idk how they gonna do that and be able to use in software programs should be interesting when the final product hits the market

Hell I'm still using the Oxygen 8 and loving that. I'll do what I do inside the box. Arpeggiator is cheating to me. I can do all that on my own without it. Might take a little longer to do it but I can make some shit that sounds less mechanized.

i feel you Fiev i got the Oxygen 8 (first version!) dope ass midi keyboard except the keys are really artificial but you get used to it

the axiom 61 is 299.99 and worth it cuz u get 9 faders and 8 knobs and 8 pads for software use u really don't need more than 8 pads cuz software gives u a lot of layering opportunities and once you learn about layering you will see what i mean by pad usage. the knobs feel great the pads hit great the sliders feel a little whobbly left to right but are strong and they go smooth back and forth the axiom 61 you can transpose 3 octaves wit the push of a button up or down 3 there is only 2 on the 25 possibly the 49 also (not sure) pitch bend and mod wheels are nice it's a great board for the money and the way the keys feel when u play them makes it worth the purchase. i went from a casio ctk-571 to this and never realized how important a keyboard/controller was until i started learning this board. the mpk just don't cut it for me especially if that rumored price is gonna go into effect. it may have mpc style pads but it doesn't have the mpc quantization which is why people buy mpcs in the first place

yeah but if you're using software, which is the only reason i know of to use a midi keyboard, then the software has quantization and all that other junk..its just a controller but yeah imma check out the axiom for that price :D

RafagasMusic said:
but mpc pads..!
They're not the same pads as the 2000XL series. Read online, the pads on the 1000 are pure crap. Different pads and resistors inside, completely different mechanics. There's actually a site where you can pay to have your 1000 pads upgraded to 2000 pads...

But yeah, the pads aren't worth it.

i have a korgkontrol49 but it may get targeted for upgrade now with the Mpk49. the KK49 is nice but most controls including the pads are toyish feeling. the main thing I like on my controller now and its the reason i bought it is the toggle. hit the pad, its on, hit again and its off. I dont see any mention of this feature in the mpk lit anybody else know about that?

RafagasMusic said:
nah ive never heard about any toggle..what is it exactly?
In toggle mode a pad transmits a note-on when first hit but no note-off. When you hit the pad again it then sends the note-off. its very usefull for triggering loops.
my controller is used with an Akai S6000. I'll create a multi in the akai with several loops like bass, hihats, snare patterns, sound fx and melodies. I then use the toggle-mode pads to drop the loops in and out of the song in real time. I can also set it up so a couple pads act normal in one-shot mode so I can bang in other percussion like on a drum machine.

I haven't used FL since it first hit the shelves back in 01 so I don't know whats involved with setting it up right these days. The setup for the Korg kontrol is childsplay, real simple. even lights up each button you need to push as you go.

I've seen people doing similar things with software like Ableton Live but I wanted to do it in hardware.

that's funny (fl hit shelves in '01) i remember when i first found it on the net back in like '97 0r '98. i was using Hammer Head studio before that... damn software has come a long way!!!!!

Back