Mpc 2000xl or Mpc 1000

tone_aot

Owner of ToneJonez.com
Whasup fam. I'm about to work some extra hours so i can save up for an mpc. This will be my first mpc. My main use would probably be in studios and secondarily use live. I record a client in her fathers home studio and he doesn't really have what i need to get the drums cracking. I'm basically going to sync up his Triton, the mpc, and his yamaha aw1600 recorder. I'll use it in the same fashion at home with adobe audition or acid pro. I would like to be able to edit individual sounds (atleast the cutoff time and pitch).Which of these machines would suit my needs better?

No computer? I'd go with one of the 2000xl's. Either the new one or the old one. Only thing with the old one is that you gotta have the floppies or a scsi device.

As soon as i posted this i saw the thread about the mpc 2500. That might be better than both of these mpc's. I do have a computer at home, but he doesn't have a studio computer in his studio. Everything is done on the yamaha aw1600. I sure wish i was rich so i could just buy all the gear i need and be done with it! I'm one of the folks who would know how to spend lottery funds. I know this is a tangent but mine would go like this:

#1. Pay my tithes
#2. Hook up my mom/grandma and a FEW other family members(LOL)
#3. help the needy
#4. Get the REAL studio poppin!!!!!
#5. Cars, House, Clothes, and all that other meaningless stuff! LOL

Now i'm really confused. I could get the fantom 61 key for the same price as the mpc 2500. I've been wanting to get a good workstation to keep at home instead of lugging the triton from church all the time. The fantom has the pads and everything.

tone_aot said:
Now i'm really confused. I could get the fantom 61 key for the same price as the mpc 2500. I've been wanting to get a good workstation to keep at home instead of lugging the triton from church all the time. The fantom has the pads and everything.

here is to add to your confusion:
you should look into the RS7000 from yamaha it has a sequencer, sampler, you can program your drum pattern in Grid mode, allowing you to remove notes on the fly. and unlike the MPC it comes with sounds.

The Fantom really can't do much that the Triton doesn't do unless you want it for the sound banks, if that's the case I'd say go with the Fantom Rack. The pads are cool and all but you can just as easily map out your samples to keys on the Triton.

Imma go with the mpc 2500/yamaha motif es6 combo. I like yamaha's sounds. I have plenty of samples to put in the mpc. Imma take a look at the yamaha sequencer yall mentioned tho. I'm used to the grid stuff. As far as the triton, i don't have the sampling board installed yet. It's the Triton LE.

tone_aot said:
Imma go with the mpc 2500/yamaha motif es6 combo. I like yamaha's sounds. I have plenty of samples to put in the mpc. Imma take a look at the yamaha sequencer yall mentioned tho. I'm used to the grid stuff. As far as the triton, i don't have the sampling board installed yet. It's the Triton LE.
dont get the rs7000..I had one.Bought it new for $1500....its cool dont get me wrong....after getting my mpc3000 I realized..what a waste that 1500 was.I know to people that I chop it up with on siccness .net and they both are getting rid of there rs7000.I was stuborn,and had to learn for myself...I have the motif rack...and I would reccomend the fantomx anyday over it...the electric pianos on the motif are great....strings are great.....Bass is ASS..and being you do hip hop and are more of a keyboard producer as opposed to chopping up samples.....the fantomx has more useable sounds...but once you get the mpc things will make more sense...my reccomendations in this order
..oh and buy used....why pay all the extra money when you can save and buy from timmy whose parents bought it for him on a whim,and he got bored.

Your sequencer
1.mpc4000 or mpc2500
...mpc3000 if you like simplicity/less features..great sound

Sounds
1.Fantomx. great midi controller..great bread and butter sounds,and very expandable

analog( I feel you need one for screaming leads,and fatt bass
1.Studio Electronics Atc( some like it better then the atcx)..or Studio electronics SE1....or Moog Voyager

with this set-up you have more then you ever need,and later can add modules if a deal comes up

Since you already have a Triton, just get both racks. If your getting rid of your Triton, my suggestion would be Fantom board and Motif rack.

I like the fantomx controller.I like the pitch bend as a joystick.The motif doesnt have this.My friends who had the triton there pitch bends break(actually I think the spring does and it doesnt automatically pop back to original position.)...however if you like your triton LE controller stick with it.However if you consider wanting more of the sounds of the extreme,Im not sure the LE upgradabilities....You could find a triton rack and put the moss card and strings etc...and you would be close to a triton extreme with exception of the valve thing(Big Deal)....My friend had all this before the extreme came out so I realized the extreme is just a regular with the expansions..and that valve(as far as sounds)

The only thing about the fantomx rack is its small screen...(witch aint a big deal to some people.....I couldnt imagine anyone being unhappy purchasing a fantomx.

I would buy a Roland... But I already have a triton le, motif es rack, mophatt sound module, kawaii sound module, and a MPC 1000. Plus various softsynths and vsti's. Do I really need another board?

That's pretty much what all my decisions to buy another sound module or midi controller are based on. Soon you'll probably be the same way.

50cal said:
dont get the rs7000..I had one.Bought it new for $1500....its cool dont get me wrong....after getting my mpc3000 I realized..what a waste that 1500 was.

i don't mean to be a homer here but what was wrong with the RS7k. excuse my accusatory tone but it sound like you were settling for something you didn't really want.

I dint mean to sound like an idiot, but you will use the fantomx sound module for the purpose of triggering different sounds through the MPC right? So I take it that the fantom has a load of samples, because I would love to have one too, but I also have goten my hands on mega cd/dvd samples for the mpc2500. Will it still be worth it?

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with any of those hardwares. Much of things different, are only features. Of course you might get more bang for the buck, like sounds etc, but when it comes down to it, it becomes the creativity of it's user... Put me on a Motif, Triton, MPC2500, a MIDI setup, or that FantomX, and when I learn how to use it, the outcome would be the same, banging music. Unless the equipment was something like a kid's keyboard, they offer a whole lot of things for the professional musician and such. ;)

For sounds.... you can get them any where lol. Built on, CD's, samples, or whatever floats your boat. IMO it's just a matter of learning how to use it & the creativity of the person. Just look at myself, I have no clue how to use FL, BUT other people (like Tone) can be masters at it making great music. That doesn't mean that FL sucks, it just means that I don't know how to use it lol. ALL in ALL, to a certain point, if it's the mpc 2500, or the motif, or the triton, you can still get the same results. - personal tastes -

Let the beatings begin

You know what, imma quit trippin. I realize i've been so caught up in this gear buying frenzy that i haven't really completed alot of music lately. I stay online reading reviews and listening to different gear setups on soundclick. But, i'm about to try to go cold turkey from the net for a week and just focus on banging out some new hits with what i already have. I'll probably even figure out something i didn't know before. If 9th wonder stuck to his setup and blew up, and i can do the same thing. Time for some heat.

you know what? i used to do that a lot. I would sit there reading reviews for like weeks, debating on what I wanted and all that. Then I started thinking about the music aspect of it, and learning the technical stuff on equipment. That made me a little wiser in what to choose a better setup at the end. Though I'm now in the process of changing out my older equipment with newer ones. I'll eventually probably get a full PT HD setup... BUT in the Mix magazine, I saw this card... like Dream card, for PCI-E, that has like 300 channels on it.... each digital connection had like 56 channels on it, and there was like 5-6 of these connections for in's, and then the corrisponding outs.. It was krazie... I forgot what the card's called... but anyways, I was like that, and now I figured what good would it really be if I had the best gear in the world, and I don't lay anything down for music... Cause gear is suppose to compliment music or whatever....

the 2000xl is nice to me. great build quality, options & flexiblity. if you really look around you can pick one up for under a grand. the 1000 is hard plastic, although its nice for portability. there's the new mpc 500 that's out now too. That one's only $799 new. its only with 12 pads, but is still alright... A lot of these so called pros got the 3000, but the 2000XL is solid for the price.

tone_aot said:
why not just do all of the work on the motif. Personally I dont see the hype behind all pads when keyboard keys are just as effective and if all u r looking for is a set of pads a mpd16 will get the job done just as well. To me that combo just sounds like overkill

X man Da Legend said:
why not just do all of the work on the motif. Personally I dont see the hype behind all pads when keyboard keys are just as effective and if all u r looking for is a set of pads a mpd16 will get the job done just as well. To me that combo just sounds like overkill

I am not a pro but it is more than having a set of pads. I've been reading up on the 2500 for a while now and I must admit it is an impressive machine to say the least!
They are two seperate beasts of their own that do different things. You can't compare a Motif or any other Keyboard to an MPC, they have two seperate purposes. To combine them together is like the best of both worlds as far as synths n drums (IMO) are concerned,,,,,,,,,

Back