M-Audio Axiom 49 vs. Akai MPK49

jkeyser87

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. They seem to be extremely similar in almost every aspect. The only noticeable difference that I can see is that the Akai has 4 more drum pads...as well as about $150 more on the price tag.

Is the Akai really that much better or are they just selling the brand name? Thanks.

This seems to be a big question. I have had a cheapo m-audio controller and my axiom (before the mpk came out). Both have been rock solid. The MPK looks like a great controller, i haven't had a chance to use it while hooked up to anything but i feel that the axiom has better keys (not that either are great but good for the money). The only real advantage the MPK has is swing, based of the MPC series of Akai samplers. MPC's are known for there swing but, it's pretty easy to get that feel in many programs so i don't personally see it as hugely advantagous (I have an mpc though). I personally concider them about equal so if i were you, i would just test them out. You can't go wrong, both are good for the money.

little info.

I aided a friend last year (9 months ago) in buying the M-Audio Axiom 61, and overall, it seemed like an okay piece of equipment. My background is to always buy the best quality gear (for myself), but this girl I helped had a budget.

Also important is what software are you planning to use? She got set up on Reason 4.0. Last year, Propellerhead Reason 4.0 did not have the latest driver for working with the Axiom, nor did M-Audio have a driver that took advantage of all the latest features in Reason. But, I did find a patch that enabled the Axiom to do all that the new Reason 4.0 does.

My personal gripe with the Axiom was its keys. I thought them on the cheap side. Which would cause me to take "Talontsiawd's" word (above) with serious consideration. He said the Akai's keys feel even worse than the M-Audio Axiom.

I have not touched the Akai gear so I do not know what to say of it. If the price is $150 more, you would expect, as a consumer, that the equipment should be better constructed.

Lastly, I just googled the Akai MPK 49 and watched a Youtube video from a guy who has posted several videos on it. He seems to be quite knowledgable about it now, after having spent close to 40 hours of research and trial & error, trying to get the Akai to do all the things it is supposed to do. He loves his, but said its setup / initialization with your software, can be a headache. His videos tell how to overcome what he spent hours learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPC8vb7Z9wE

Hope this helps.

About the keys, the only controller in the price range that i have found to be significantly better than either is- http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationPro88-main.html but that seems to have issues. The novation controllers are alot better but jump in price.

As for software, people don't tend to go through manuals on something like a basic midi controller. The Axiom is programable so basically, you can assign everything to suit your needs. It's tedious but works. Manual programming is the only thing that worked for me. I don't use the knobs/sliders much so it wasn't all that involved.

I also want to say that there are alot of older workstations/synths that can be had for the same price or cheaper too that will have way better keys. My ASR10 is actually problaby too soft/sensitive for a piano player (instead of too stiff, not enough velocity "variation") but it was only $300 used. It doesn't have weighted keys or anything either.

On the flip side, a workstation/synth, even though it's more powerful, it is going to be basic as a controller. Keys, pitch/mod wheel. Plus you will end up needing a stand because of the weight most likely. Size is and issue too. I really don't have high expectations of controllers. The axiom does what i want and i'm use to "keyboard" keys. I think both choices have a good overall "value" when it comes to everything offered, i'd still by an axiom personally.

Sorry, long post, can't sleep tonight:(

more

I just found that Amazon.com, of all places, has the Akai MPK 49 for $30 less than Sweetwater ($400) at $370. Musician's Friend wants $420.

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-MPK-49-Controller-Keyboard/dp/B000Z20J2M

2nd, here is the review of the Akai MPK 49 from Keyboard Magazine (reviewed this past May, 2008), which had nothing but good things to say about it. If I recall, they said the drum pads on it were great. I know for fact that the drum pads on the Axiom are cheap. I remember tapping them and they just had no real feel to them. Maybe that's what drum pads are supposed to do though. I don't know, cuz I'm not a "drummer". lol

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/akai-mpk49/may-08/35782

Back