Help With Mpc 1000 !!!! MIDI FRUSTRATED

bbeck

I'M A DIEHARD MOTIF 8 PRODUCER. :cool: :rolleyes: I'VE BEEN USEING THE MOTIF AS MY MAIN WORKHORSE SINCE IT CAME OUT. EVERYBODY SAY'S I NEED AN MPC IN MY STUDIO; SO I BROKE DOWN AND GOT ONE, AND I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHY :o ! I KINDA LIKE THE SEQUENCER ON IT, BUT I STILL SAY IT CAN'T TOUCH THE SEQUENCER ON MY MO :p , I GUESS IT'S BECAUSE I'M A KYBRDIST. :D
O.K. HERES WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO:

HOW DO I LACE IT UP !

QUESTION A.. HOW DO I USE THE MPC AS A CONTROLLER FOR MY RIG ? MOTIF 8, TRITON, AND ROLAND JUNO, WHILE STILL USEING THE MPC AS A DEDICATED DRUM MACHINE ( I DON'T HAVE MANY SOUNDS FOR THE MPC YET).
I'M USING VST DRUM SOUNDS FOR THE MPC VIA SONAR 5 PRO.

QUESTION B. SHOULD I CONTINUE TO USE THE MOTIF AS A CONTROLLER AND THE MPC AS A DEDICATED DRUM MACHINE THAT USES VST'S FOR SOUNDS, AND HOW DO I SYNC IT ALL UP ?!?

QUESTION C... IF I DO DECIDE TO USE THE MPC AS A CONTROLLER, HOW DO I GET ALL THE TRACKS TO SONAR ?

I HAVE THE EMU 1616M SOUNDCARD THAT HAS 2 SETS OF MIDI I/O PORTS

P.S. SAVING SEQUENCES ON THE MOTIF IS SO EASY !
I'M AFRAID TO SAVE A SEQUENCE ON THE MPC BECAUSE OF THE 32MB FLASH CARD IT COMES WITH I'M NOT TO FAMILIAR WITH, BUT I'LL BLOW THIS MACHINE OUT ONCE I FIGURE IT OUT ;)

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP !!!!!!! :confused:
THANKS

Last edited:
EVERYBODY SAY'S I NEED AN MPC IN MY STUDIO;

That's the stupidest sh!t.... People say that because it's part of the trend. "Yo man... I make beats on da MPC." It's like a solgan of the true rap artist.

The MPC is irrelavent in todays studio. It was crucial in the late 1980's and early 1990's. The necessity of having a quality sequencer and sampler made the MPC a legend..... THOSE DAYS ARE OVER!

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

The traditional way to use an MPC was as the master sequencer. The MO would be connected to the MPC, set to multi mode, and all MIDI data would be manipulated within the MPC.

Don't do this.... You are right. The Motif has a sequencer that smokes the MPC on every level with the only possible advantage going to the quantization settings of the MPC.

If you want to use the MPC as a controller you're wasting a lot of money. You can get those same pads made by AKAI for 1/6 the cost.

Finale

The MPC is the most over-rated piece of studio equipment around. The company has all but dropped support for the device (Just try getting one repaired :rolleyes: )

Spread the word. Forget what was used in the 1990's by "producers." Buy what you NEED and only after you research it.

Good Luck

JOE NOVICE
you said
The MPC is irrelavent in todays studio
now thats just as stupid as someone saying you need an mpc to make beats.Mpc are still in use in alot of hip hop and R@B songs.

50cal said:
now thats just as stupid as someone saying you need an mpc to make beats.Mpc are still in use in alot of hip hop and R@B songs.

You've missed the point. Just because people are still using an MPC doesn't mean anything. People still record to ADAT.... that doesn't mean it's the right tool to buy if you are creating a contemporary work environment.

There is no function an MPC does that can't be done easier and better by other, usually cheaper, equipment.

Often the guys who most want to use the MPC base their decision on the folk-lore of a rapper's tool-kit and not the function of the gear.

thanks fella's I knew I wasn't crazy !

However I must admit that drum s sound fuller and heavier on the MPC, but no one I've talked to can tell me why :confused: (Filtering or something :rolleyes: ) I think I'll take it back to guitar center and take the %15 restock fee BS and get myself some AKAI pads and call it a rap. Heck, I practically live at guitar center and to get charged 15% to return some sh!t I don't need is crazy ! Sequencing on the mpc useing the rig that I have was a total disaster ! Why does every body say it's so great for sequencing, I lost about a week of production f'ing with this thing. What do you guys think about that battery kit with pads at guitar center ?

I've been using Battery 2 for a few years and really love it. Battery 3 is even better from what I hear. If I were you I would also consider DrumsFromHell by East West. That stuff sounds as good as you can get from samples.

How can I get some E. W. stuff

Yeah I heard ew was super tight. I still can't believe I fell for ol gotta have mpc, sounds just like "gotta have pro-tools huh !

Is Battery pretty user friendly ?

I don't like fumbling with gear in front of clients. I just upgraded to sonar 6. I guess I'm more of a hands on player.

JoeNovice said:
You've missed the point. Just because people are still using an MPC doesn't mean anything. People still record to ADAT.... that doesn't mean it's the right tool to buy if you are creating a contemporary work environment.
It's a matter of preference and what sound you're trying to establish. There is no such thing as right tool to buy, it's what works for you. Contemporary or Modern Studio environments consist of modern features because of technology advancements. The difference with a MPC versus, like you said, ADATS, is that MPC's have modernized as well and is not a Dinosaur.

JoeNovice said:
There is no function an MPC does that can't be done easier and better by other, usually cheaper, equipment.

Are you serious? Not that a MPC can do everything, because it sure CAN'T. But it has a purpose. And if used correctly and for the right purpose, it's a great piece of equipment to have. I think this statement was out of simply responding to 50Cal!

JoeNovice said:
Often the guys who most want to use the MPC base their decision on the folk-lore of a rapper's tool-kit and not the function of the gear.

I guess you can tell from my reponse that I have an MPC2500, but I keep an open mind and understand why it has no use for others. But I use my MPC sparingly, mostly for upbeat Gospel tracks and RnB music, not for RAP. I have even used it on ballads.........I have a friend who stops through and will absolutley suck the life out of it, I mean use it almost to it's capacity. I am impressed with it! But if it is not for you, leave it alone and save your money. But, don't think to make Rap or any other type of music that you MUST have a certain type of equipment. I think that may have been your point, but I figured I'll touch on other points as well.

Back