Which digital multitracker to buy: Akai DPS12i, Fostex VF16, Tascam 788, Korg D16?

Daniele

I've saved up enough money to buy a digital hard-disk based multitracker (I won't buy a new Mac after all).

I have four machines on my shortlist: the Akai DPS12i, Fostex VF16, Tascam 788, Korg D16.

The Korg is just that little bit too expensive for me. The Tascam looks like a great machine, but will only record on 4 tracks at once, which will make live recordings trickier. So I think I will have to choose between the Akai and the Fostex. The Fostex has a few more tracks (and records on 8 instead of 6) but the Akai seems to have earned a loyal following and a great reputation. Neither machine appears to have any serious shortcomings. Which would you prefer? And are there any pressing reasons why I should not rule out the other two?

Now, effects: I never used *any* electronic effects with my old equipment. I've had a TEAC A3340 4-track reel-to-reel for 15 years, and I designed and built a large collection of devices out of things like cardboard tubes, damaged speaker cones and so on for that purpose. The closest thing I had to an effects unit was the circuitry of an ancient valve-powered reel-to-reel. Any treatments I applied were done at the time the track was laid. It will be nice to play with on-board effects with great ease, though I doubt there'll be one called "guitar amp behind shut bathroom door" or "microphone touching speaker cone". One effect I *would* like to have is half-speed recording, which I found very useful. Should I be aware of any important deficiencies or features in the effects units of the machines I'm considering?

Any suggestion, opinions or advice greatly welcomed.

Daniele

Where did you find out that the Tascam only records 4 tracks at a time? I really don't think that is true, It records 6 at a time. Find out at http://www.tascam.com

Since the Korg is too expensive, I would either go with the Tascam or the Akai. Forget the Fostex. I don't think Fostex makes relaiable gear.

Do more research on the Tascam and Akai.

frank_1 said:
Where did you find out that the Tascam only records 4 tracks at a time? I really don't think that is true, It records 6 at a time. Find out at http://www.tascam.com

That's what I thought so too after reading Tascam's literature. But after further research I discovered that two of those are an aux. stereo pair. I believe this means they aren't mike-level inputs, and are not controllable in the way that the others are. Recording a live band this would be a problem.

Another question I meant to ask: how useful is it to be able to control the mixer via MIDI from a computer? The Akai apparently comes with some really good software for the Mac (and PC) which is at least part of the way round the lack of physical knobs and controls on the machine itself.

Because I'm so unfamiliar with digital multitrackers I don't know which features should impress me and which I should ignore.

Daniele

Back