Which is better Akai DPS24 or Yamaha AW4416?

Mongoo

Right now I'm really leaning towards the DPS24 but I wanted to see what you guys think because really, you probably know better than me. Also do you know how much the AW4416 is priced at? Everywhere I've looked doesn't list it. Why do they do that?

Thanks in advance.

Mongoo

AW4416.........There are some for sale on Ebay for a variety of prices. New and used. All of them are less than what I paid 3 years ago. :)

What do you think the Tascam has over the akai dps 24? I looked at the link you showed and it didn't seem to have anything special. Maybe I just didn't look deep enough though. Whats your take?

Mongoo

Mongoo,
LOL, you forced me to go do a direct itemized compare on the two units, and yeah, I have to agree, side by side there little difference.

Here's some I found

1. The SX runs on BEos, so it's basically a disguised computer - albeit set up for a specific purpose.

2. It supports 128 channels sequenced midi - with 2 MIDI in and 4 out

3. 999 virtual tracks vs 256

4. Ethernet port - supports bi-directional xfer of Wav/SoundDesignerII files to PC/MAC over network. This is because of the underlying file system used to store projects (according to the owners manula anyway). So it doesn't need TOSLINK or S/PDIF to get files toa PC shoudl you wish to master that way.

5. 3 sets of stereo monitor outs vs 2

6. Full 5.1 Surround support

7. up to 5 separate monitor mixes....

Are the differences worth the extra $$$ That's something the buyer would have to decide I guess.

Regards,
Steve

Sorry for slightly OT but...

kjam, Set My Soul Free is lovely. Talk about Dylanesque:) I really enjoyed listening to that. Lovely song, beautifully played, recorded and mixed.

My only minor gripe was the drums - did you lose something off the top in making it warm? They needed more air, I thought.

Garry Sharp said:
Sorry for slightly OT but...

kjam, Set My Soul Free is lovely. Talk about Dylanesque:) I really enjoyed listening to that. Lovely song, beautifully played, recorded and mixed.

My only minor gripe was the drums - did you lose something off the top in making it warm? They needed more air, I thought.

Thanks Garry....... glad you liked the song! Those drums are an old Roland TD7 electronic set that I pulled out of my atic. Everything else I do I use an accoustic set (with varying results). I think on that song it was just a TD7 setting flat, L&R stereo out and no EQ applied.

Workstations

In regard to the Akai vs Yamaha, they are both seriously powerful audio sketchpads. I have an AW2816, and I have done professional recordings with it. Imagine this respective technology 20 years ago; any one of these workstations would have been deemed the "end-all" to production and no doubt cost a couple hundred thousand dollars. Think I'm kidding? Does anybody remember the PCM F-1 when it was revealed?
Having said that, in the current climate of audio sketchpads, to me they pale in comparison to the Tascam SX-1 and SX-1LE. There is just no real comparison (and I am partial to the Tascam because I am buying one in a couple of days - I don't work for Tascam :-) ) Why? Because the features-set on the Tascam models blow the others out of the water. The Akai for example, is attractive as having 24 tracks, until you find out that you HAVE To record at 16-bit to get those 24 tracks - not 24-bit (it records 16-tracks at 24-bit, just like the Yamaha) - the Roland is more like a sophisticated toy, and it uses data compression - very bad as far as I am concerned.
But, in favor of the Yamaha and Akai - my criticism is micro and complete nitpicking. I make records for a living and I NEED the editing capabilty and the features of the Tascam, but don't forget, I've been doing it for the past year with an AW2816, and quite successfully too.
Just food for thought.

If I'm not mistaken, which I very well could be, doesn't the yamaha record only 8 tracks at 24bit and 16 tracks at 16bit?

I know its not the best thing in the world to knock the resolution down to 16bits but the other recorders just don't let you have the option of having 24 simultaneous tracks. I'm reffering the the yamaha and roland ones. I haven't looked into Tascam enough.

It would seem to me that the main advantage to tascam is it has more editing capabilities. With the Akai I could just burn a cd or use spdif to transper the fies over to a computer for extensive editing, if I had too. Some might factor the computer into the cost of the recorder but I'm not, because I would use it for lots of other stuff too. Besides I already have a computer too.

The 24 simultaneous tracks I think is a clear advantage. For live shows anyways. I haven't seen the DPS24 in person just yet, but I have seen the Tascam LX and that thing is HUGE. I'm primarily going to be useing the recorder for my own music, But It would be nice to make some money back on it. If I have to lug it around It would be that bad.

As far as all the extra virtual tracks and midi channels offered by tascam. I'm sure they are nice, but for my needs I can hardly see useing up the Akai's 250 virtual tracks. As for midi, I hardly even know what that is used for aside from having something to do with keyboards.

Say, GoMano

Can you tell me some more about the tascams wav editing?

Thanks

Mongoo

Hey!
You make some excellent points - and our respective microscoping for sure is but microcriticism, but, there are some professional features-sets that are absent on the Akai and prevelant on the Tascam.
First, the wavform editing on the Tascam is comprehensive, and quite similar to Pro Tools and other DAW type editing. You can cut and paste any region of a program you wish, trim up takes, and otherwise perfrom master edits and view your work on a big VGA, instead of a tiny LCD. Now, what that has over the Akai I don't know, other than the LCD limitation, and my guess that it doesn't do waveform editing at all - but I could be completely wrong.

And you are so right about having 24 tracks - having 16, you will ALWAYS need more!

The AW2816 / AW4416 records 16 tracks at 24-bit / 44.1 w/ no data compression, and the converters are great in it, and the sound is fantastic. It's footprint, like the Akai , is very small. It uses 60-mm faders, which I personally don't like, and the Akai has 100mm long throws - very excellent. So at the end of the day you really can't go wrong with the Akai; it IS a professional unit. One of my best friends, who is a guitar-legend of sorts, an amazing engineer in his own right and completely anal about sound quality, is about to release his thrid live album, and this one is by far the best, both performance wise AND sonically. It was recorded at 16-bit on 32-tracks. So bit rate can be subjective SOMETIMES, and if size (the Tascam is very big and weighs like , 100 lbs) track couint and certain features are all taken into account, you can't make anything BUT an informed decision, and make out with the best choice for you. I am partial to the Tascam because of it's many features over the otehr DAW's - but those things are particular to my needs.
I remember the very first Akai 4-track beasts - they were great. I would get the Akai since you have sort of signed it with your desire already, and if it doesn't meet all of your expectations and needs - you'll know in a week or so - take it back and get something else. Liek ray Charles said recentkly in a documentary about legendary engineer Tom Dowd: "You can have 96 tracks - but it's what it SOUNDS like baby, it's what it sounds like!"(laughing)

Good luck!

Re: Workstations

GoMano said:
The Akai for example, is attractive as having 24 tracks, until you find out that you HAVE To record at 16-bit to get those 24 tracks - not 24-bit (it records 16-tracks at 24-bit, just like the Yamaha) -

As I responded in another thread, that is incorrect. The Akai records 24 tracks at 24-bit in 44.1/48. At 88.2 or 96, it records 12 tracks at 24-bit. There are no restrictions using 24-bit on the DPS24.

I stand corrected - It's other DAW's that have that limitation then - I know for sure the Korg does.

Then the Akai is a seriously powerful DAW - 24 tracks is great if you can record them at 24-bit. I also found out the Akai, while not having a port for a VGA monitor DOES have a USB port so you can use your computer and it's VGA monitor - very comprehensive - cool machine!

yeah,
but keep in mind there's an extra cost to getting the Akaisys interface on your computer !!

That up's the price enought to compare directly with what's on the Tascam SX !

Not So

There is no extra cost getting the aksys interface on your computer. Aksys is supplied (and upgraded) by Akai for free. While the VGA implementation on the Akai isn't as deep as on the VS recorders, it is a great addition and Akai is adding functionality to it. The next OS (in beta testing and due any day now) provides for direct .wav import/export via usb (along with browsing the computer directly from the DPS24) and aksys itself has an expanded feature set. They've also added another free software called "ak.sys server" which allows the user to specify up to 7 different filepaths as destinations for export/import...as well as completing the actual file transfers even when ak.sys itself isn't running. Among the many items added in this OS is the ability to record and playback directly from an external scsi drive...even with no internal drive installed. The DPS24 is a monster, and at a bargain price (at least for now).

-john

Back