Akai XR-20

how protable u need it?.... cause for the money i would think the mpc1000 is a better go it has usb and its mad compact....

Yeah, I was considering that, but for the price, I don't know if I would lug it around considering wear & tear. That thing would be sitting at home, and it's portability would be from the bedroom to the kitchen lol. Also for 1K, I nearly can get a 2500. But the XR20 doesn't have any place to add samples & sounds... that's big, just saw it.
I looked at the 1000, considering it... What about the MPC500? What's it's limitations? on the eq of the 1000, is it a graphic eq or parametric

I'm getting rid of a 2500 for $1,500. (Cd rom, 128 ram expansion, 40 gig hardrive, hardly used) It's just collecting dust right now! My homeboy used to pop by and lace some beats, but he moved to ATL and my familiarity with it is basic at best.

I had it on Craigslist and dudes were trying to offer me 1k. They thought I was desperate, but I told them to bounce!

Just a thought! PM me if you're interested..........

dayum i wish i had $1500 I would buy that joint from u right now.... i been wantin a 2500 for a minute..... anyway back to the post

Id say that the 500 is a good lil machine is had usb and a compact flash so u can import and export your samples that way as well as str8 from stereo inputs from say a turntable.... so yea if u looking for something u can use like when u on the road or something then yea id say go for it....

btw what u need it for?

dayum i wish i had $1500 I would buy that joint from u right now.... i been wantin a 2500 for a minute..... anyway back to the post

Id say that the 500 is a good lil machine is had usb and a compact flash so u can import and export your samples that way as well as str8 from stereo inputs from say a turntable.... so yea if u looking for something u can use like when u on the road or something then yea id say go for it....

btw what u need it for?

Sometimes I have that spark ya know? & have to put it down before it's forgotten. On the road or during flight it'll come in handy. Something to carry along inside my notebook bag. I've been shopping around for something for the studio & will get one of the newer models, playing with those I wanted one that's portable for personal use wherever I go.

This a new beat I'm working on, near to be finished, automation & another guitar needed.

Last edited:
with a notebook why dont u get a lil midi keyboard and use some software?
ps the link aint wrkin

never work on a MPC at all.. plus in in the market for another track recorded..(tryin to get this Korg D1200MKII for around $250)

but from my understanding the Akai XR-20 is just a drum machine similar to SR-16 and thats it..

I think the MPC500 would be better..its about a laptop size if you want a mpc..

like I said I never used one..

keep in mind that this machine isnt a sampler and the drum sounds that come on it aren't what i'd call hip hop. i have played with it at GC and i did not like it at all. I would just go for a mpc 500

the mpc 500 can do everything the 1000 can the only difference between them is that the screen is smaller on the 500 and it has fewer pads.

cubase issues with xr20!!

Hey this seems to be a place where i can get help!! ;)

i have an Akai xr20 beat production centre! it is linked to my edirol soundcard which is linked to my laptop! NOW when i record the beat (that i made on the akai) into a cubase midi file it reads it and records it perfect! all good! BUT now i face the problem of recording the midi to an audio track (so's i can do a mixdown)! THE audio track doesnt recieve any soundwaves however it does if the midi in/out is on the microsoft wave table and not the edirol souncard! but that is given me a rubbish sound! i need to know how i can set up my akai properly with cubase!

all help please

Liam

Recording audio

Hey Liam19, you probably figured this out by now, but just in case..

Sounds like you just need to feed the audio out of the XR-20 back into your soundcard. Having MIDI in your sequencer will not give you sound. So you will connect the MIDI out of your soundcard to the MIDI in of the XR-20, and the audio out of the XR-20 back to the soundcard and it should work.

How are you liking the XR-20, I am thinking about one, have messed with it at the store but not sure I want to commit. I already have Reason and can get similar sounds, but to me the XR sounds much fatter/warmenr than Reason and is funner to play. Your thoughts..?

Akai xr20

Since you guys are on the topic. I would just like to say I have beenbeatin up the AKAI for a while now and love it. very easy to use, and alot of fun. i would say u cant go wrong. I do have a question about exporting a mix though if anyone can help. Im really not sure what the easiest way is to get my beats recorded as an audio file to the computer. can anyone point me in the right direction

ty,
Dog

Hi Mindset,

I don't know... seems like a waste that MPC500/XR20.. it's really limited. If your lugging your laptop already.. I would just get a small trigger pad or something and just use NNTX in reason that money can go towards something else like a new mic or cables or something... If you take a little time and build a solid drumset in reason.. it actually does sound good. Even going the route of buying a drum sample library would be a more cost efficient and more flexible... It's all about work flow... Reason is quick and easy for laying down ideas and later transferring those ideas into protools... Listening to your music.. I know that you don't just think about drums... you have an ear for instruments... why limit yourself?

Here's a new pad product by akai:This is small enough to use along with your laptop....
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/LPD8--Main

Last edited:
I know this thread is kinda old but I figured I would drop a few thoughts on it. I have had a XR-20 for about 6 months now and it's yielded some pretty decent beats for me. It has it's limitations that's for sure but if u need portability and you like the feel of the MPC products this lil joint will do the trick. It has some good sounds as far as drums go. The one shot sounds are good for about one or two uses as they are very distinct sounding and not much flexibility is available to tailor the sound. The synths although tweakable are not very impressive sounding as some I have heard on similarly sized/priced machines, so if you are using this for creating tracks be prepared to suplement your arrangement with synths from another source. All in all I have made some nice little beats with this thing and for the price it gets the job done! If anyone is interested in hearing some of the beats I have made with it let me know I will post a few.

Last edited:
Back