Thread: AKAI MG1214 newbie alert! Maintenance tips & advice sought please

Thanks

AKAI MG1214 newbie alert! Maintenance tips & advice sought please

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi! Just about to take delivery of an old (well, new to me!) AKAI MG1214 analogue recorder. It's still limping on regardless apparently but has had a hard life from the sounds of it (it was used in a community studio for many years). I'm just wondering how best to give it some TLC before I attempt to use it in earnest? The seller tells me there's quite few scratchy pots and faders for starters. I'm aware potentiometers usually have some kind of grease in them and I don't want to dilute that away by eagerly over-spraying switch cleaner everywhere! What's the best way to approach this task and what chemicals/spray(s)/pot lube might I need to successfully clean this thing? ('De-oxit' perhaps?) Also, any general tips, insights and stuff to be aware of regarding this model would be much appreciated. I wasn't aware such a machine even existed until recently! Quietly excited to get up'n'running with this beast of a recorder as I'm very much in need of a wholesome shot of analogue goodness as things stand (been stuck in 'Computerland' with music for far too long now!) CHEERS!
    I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlejohn View Post
    Hi! Just about to take delivery of an old (well, new to me!) AKAI MG1214 analogue recorder. It's still limping on regardless apparently but has had a hard life from the sounds of it (it was used in a community studio for many years). I'm just wondering how best to give it some TLC before I attempt to use it in earnest? The seller tells me there's quite few scratchy pots and faders for starters. I'm aware potentiometers usually have some kind of grease in them and I don't want to dilute that away by eagerly over-spraying switch cleaner everywhere! What's the best way to approach this task and what chemicals/spray(s)/pot lube might I need to successfully clean this thing? ('De-oxit' perhaps?) Also, any general tips, insights and stuff to be aware of regarding this model would be much appreciated. I wasn't aware such a machine even existed until recently! Quietly excited to get up'n'running with this beast of a recorder as I'm very much in need of a wholesome shot of analogue goodness as things stand (been stuck in 'Computerland' with music for far too long now!) CHEERS!
    hi, I actually have 2. the tape section doesn't work on one and the other's tape section works, but intermittently. I've talked to many about this machine, and a few serious techs. The consensus is to not waste your money keeping the tape section working. The quality of that section of the board is next to crap! So if it breaks.... But the mixer is great. As for cleaning it I took all the fader and knob caps off and rubbed it with a damp cloth, sprayed de-oxit (ONLY THE TINIEST AMOUNT) when needed on the pots and then wiggle wiggle wiggle and sprayed FADER lube into the faders and slide slide slide.

There is a fuse box on the right side if you take the grey panel off.
    I also have the manual and the schematics I paid separately off of ebay but not the service manual.
    good luck

Thanks
    Hey! Thanks v much for the info & for taking the time to put that down. Hmm ... disappointed to hear about the tape section as I really had intended on using it as an all-in-one console. (It';s no good to me in any other format as I just don't have the space this end for anything else in my allocated broom cupboard of a project home studio!) I've now taken charge of said unit and ..... guess what? The tape section's stopped working = "AARRGGHH!" :-(
    I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by almightyshux View Post
    hi, I actually have 2. the tape section doesn't work on one and the other's tape section works, but intermittently. I've talked to many about this machine, and a few serious techs. The consensus is to not waste your money keeping the tape section working. The quality of that section of the board is next to crap! So if it breaks.... But the mixer is great. As for cleaning it I took all the fader and knob caps off and rubbed it with a damp cloth, sprayed de-oxit (ONLY THE TINIEST AMOUNT) when needed on the pots and then wiggle wiggle wiggle and sprayed FADER lube into the faders and slide slide slide.

There is a fuse box on the right side if you take the grey panel off.
    I also have the manual and the schematics I paid separately off of ebay but not the service manual.
    good luck
    Not to mention the extreme difficulty in finding tape for them.

Yeah, sadly it makes it into a mixer.

Thanks
    oops
    Last edited by almightyshux; 03-15-2016 at 11:55. Reason: replied to wrong post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Not to mention the extreme difficulty in finding tape for them.

Yeah, sadly it makes it into a mixer.
    they're all over ebay. but they are 60$ each

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlejohn View Post
    Hey! Thanks v much for the info & for taking the time to put that down. Hmm ... disappointed to hear about the tape section as I really had intended on using it as an all-in-one console. (It';s no good to me in any other format as I just don't have the space this end for anything else in my allocated broom cupboard of a project home studio!) I've now taken charge of said unit and ..... guess what? The tape section's stopped working = "AARRGGHH!" :-(

and there ya have it! sorry to hear that man

if you want to get rid of it - like I said I have 2 already - I like the mixer section. I'm in NY.

Thanks
    Really? Wow wasn't aware of that. Guess I'm out of the loop.
    A buddy had one back in the day. Solid, good sounding machine.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks
    The recorder section can be repaired.
    Most problems are quite strait forward and you can still get some parts.
    I have personally fixed about three recorder sections. It's a shame people just say " oh well it doesn't work anymore, I will just have to only use the mixer section now"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deslog View Post
    The recorder section can be repaired.
    Most problems are quite strait forward and you can still get some parts.
    I have personally fixed about three recorder sections. It's a shame people just say " oh well it doesn't work anymore, I will just have to only use the mixer section now"
    what are the common problems with the tape section? mine is only running slow and get stuck after e few seconds....????

Thread Information