akai dps12 question

chris o

ok, i just accidentally won this on ebay. im curious to what i would need to connect this to my computer and download the tracks recorded.

i was looking for a cheap digital recorder, found this, bid, read reviews, dont think i want it anymore.

what i was going to do is buy an scsi hard drive because of all the bad things ive read about the jaz drive.

what i need to know is what i would need to get to transfer to my laptop. or if i even can

sorry dude...I don't use a computer with recording so no help here. No idea what you'd need to transfer stuff.

I used a dps 12 for a couple years and never had a problem with my jaz drive but they did get expensive.

Good luck mang...

is there any way to save it to anything else other than the hard drive? put it on a disk or any way at all to get it off the recorder?

i guess what im asking is, when i record everything on it, how do i get it off.

is there any way to save it to anything else other than the hard drive? put it on a disk or any way at all to get it off the recorder?

i guess what im asking is, when i record everything on it, how do i get it off.

there is a scsi output on it (i've been using the dps12 for several years now), and you could install a scsi drive on your computer and dump them that way, but i'm unsure as to whether or not individual tracks go or just stereo, because i've never used the feature.

alas, my greatest beef with my daw is that in order to get tracks on the computer, i run the optical out to my cd burner (a standalone harman kardon) and mix down to cd-r. then i put the cd-r in my comp and load the stereo tracks into soundforge for "mastering."

this is the worst limitation to the dps12--there is absolutely no way to get individual tracks onto your comp without individually putting them on a "middle man" and then loading them all individually in your comp (which i've never even attempted).

the good news is, the preamps are better than a lot of standalones, the eq is actually very good (albeit a bit clunky to get the hang of using, but easy once you do), and it's super-simple to operate (minus the effects, which i still haven't figured out, despite reading the manual a dozen times and spending countless hours trying to get some damn compression or reverb out of it).

so, in a nutshell, yeah--i think you may have bought the wrong thing for modern times. i got mine when they were new in '99, so i have a good excuse. :D

good luck with it! :)

yea thats what turned me off of this after i had already bid on this. while i did find what i was looking for, a cheap digital recorder, i just got an out dated one.

if i cant get the seller to cancel the transaction i guess i'll just have to either sell it when i get it or but a cd burner and the hard drive and make do.

also is the best way of recording micing the amp? i have been writing a lot of stuff lately and have a ton of ideas and need to get them out of my notebook and recorded but in a way to fit my financial needs.

yeah, mic the amp. The onboard pres aren't bad so you can use those. If you decide you want to use a different pre (outboard stuff), you'll need to get a couple of things. There's a little box I found that's made by Hosa (and probably several others) that will enable you to bypass the onboard pre's. It's been a few years but I remember getting that and the cable to do it. If you're interested, lemme know and I'll call my bro tomorrow and get the details.

Hey Dross...I remember using effects all the time so let me know if I can help. I can dredge it up from the last functioning brain cell. ;)

oh...and I remember when I loaded all my stuff from my dps 12 to my dps24, I just loaded 2 tracks at a time and synced em up afterward. I know it's not quite the same as you're doing but it worked.

Hi
does any one know any other CD burners i can use with my DPS12, i have been using a plexwriter but its died and no where can fix it.
or a way of going straight to my laptop?
cheers

Back