Akai 4000DS MKII Reel to Reel tape recorder worth getting?

daav

Flailing up a storm.
THis is a cross post, sorry, but time is of the essence and i was checking in the want ads forum (figure folks there might know prices better).

One of these units is for sale for $30, worth it? No idea what kind of condition it is in. I know nothing about analog.

Thanks,
Daav

I've sold mine for $150 about two months ago. Mine was in excellent condition. So, you decide. The price is suspectively low, so either the seller doesn't know how much he/she can sell it for, or it's in crappy condition.
The unit itself is pretty good.

$30.00 -- great price! They all need some work and at that price you can afford it. As long as the heads aren’t gone… well even if they are you could sell it for parts on eBay for more than that. :)

I made my first recorded sounds (on a drum kit) on an Akai 4000 in 1984 at the tender age of 4 :eek: :eek:

we recently gave one away to somebody who had a second one that we also gave him for 20 quid

great little machines............temperamental from what I can remember, but good

peritus said:
So, I'm looking into buying an Akai GX-4000D and I already have a GX-280D.. My question is which one is the superior of the two, in terms of quality?
Thanks

I've once owned a GX-750 (almost the same as 280), can't say I liked it. I have to agree to someone on this forum who mentioned that glass heads don't sound as good as metal heads.
Is GX-4000D a glass head unit?
Try Revox A77, those are the superior ones :) IMHO

Agreed... I would love to have a Revox...

Any specific difference in sound with the glass head? I found the following info on another site.. Interesting stuff.. "lifetime warranty"?!?!

===============

History :

Akai 4000DS Mk2 machines where manufactured circa 1976-1978 and they recorded and played back giving excellent results (due to the 1 micron gap heads).

The Mk 2 models were the successor to the 4000DS (circa 1972-1976) which in its turn was a successor to the famous 4000D (circa 1970-1972) with several improvements. These machines proved to be reliable workhorses like their forebearers, this was due to the simple but rugged construction which gave a build quality beyond its competitors in the same price range.

The last "4000" model produced by Akai was the GX - 4000D. This machine incorporated glass/crystal ferrite recording heads that resulted in a better frequency response and boasted a lifetime guarantee!

Indeed, these machines from Akai are still noted for their reliability and endurance which has made them something of a legend, they are still going strong after 30 years plus.....how many modern machines will be able to boast that?

...Have tested the basic features such as play, fast forward, and rewind which seem to be working. I am not expert enough to know about the more technical features of the machine. The small screw-on metal cap that allows you to change speed is present. The VU meters both work and light up. There are a few minor marks and scratches on the wooden parts or the metal front (which could do with a good wipe).

Serial Number : S-90102-02084

Included with the tape recorder :

Two reels (one full, one empty),
One Original Spool Retainer,
Wall Plug,
Phono Lead,
Photocopy of 43 page Service Manual for 4000DS / 4000DS-Mk2.
A few other empty plastic tape reels
I believe the Original Technical Specification was :

Track Format: 4 track, 2 channel stereo/mono
Reel Size: up to 7’’ spools
Tape Speeds: 7.1/2 and 3.3/4 ips
Wow and Flutter: less than 0.15% RMS at 7 1/2, less than 0.2% RMS at 3 3/4
Signal-to-noise ratio: better than 50dB
Erase Ratio: better than 70dB
Bias Frequency: 100 kHz
Cross-Talk: better than 70dB (mono), better than 50 dB (stereo)
*No Reserve*

Heads: (3) 1 micron gap playback head, 1micron gap recording head, 1 erase head
Fast forward and rewind time: 150 seconds using a 1200 ft. tape
Motors: 1 4-pole induction motor
Power requirement: 220-240V, 50Hz
Aprox Dimensions: 40 x 30 x 15 cms

This item is very heavy - as a result, the P&P charges will total £17.50 within UK. Free Local pickup is available, from Ashwell, near Baldock, Hertfordshire, or Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

*No Reserve*

My understanding (from my father) is that the glass heads don't wear out, but they do become brittle, particularly if the record head is overdriven.

Anyway, that was his answer to my question of "why aren't they used in studio multitracks". Of course if they affect the sound, that would be another good reason.

jpmorris said:
My understanding (from my father) is that the glass heads don't wear out, but they do become brittle, particularly if the record head is overdriven.

Anyway, that was his answer to my question of "why aren't they used in studio multitracks". Of course if they affect the sound, that would be another good reason.

Hey.. Thanks for the info... Tell your dad thanks too.. :)

peritus said:
Hey.. Thanks for the info... Tell your dad thanks too.. :)
Heh. He's probably forgotten that conversation by now, it was about five years ago. He had the regular 4000DS as I recall - he probably couldn't afford the GX version. There were an awful lot of the machines made, so it's probably a good choice in terms of getting parts.

If I hadn't got all nostalgic over the AKAI he had, I probably would have stuck with digital...

Many of those Akai models have a mechanical problem. A cam cast out of metal disintegrates and makes the mahine useless. It sits behaind the vertical function lever(s). I suspect the later model GX types would be more likely to have solved the problem by that stage.
Lots of discussion of this problem on the UK vintage radio repair and discussion forum. Look under tape recorders.

The GX heads were normally much longer lasting. Maybe they werent quite up to the audio of normal heads but that was when new. I personally keep an eye out for any machine with Ferrite/GX type heads because of their long life especially when reel to reel heads of any sort are getting hard to come by.

Cheers Tim.

Back